Today 13°C / 4°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
8 messages
09/01/2008 at 12:39
Pretty good, Yakram, but one mistake.
09/01/2008 at 17:26
what about a dogwood.
09/01/2008 at 23:01
reply to Yakram regarding the tree quiz. Can you say that again in English for us not so latinised gardeners please. I thought the second tree was a monkey puzzle tree.
16/01/2008 at 22:48
reply to morning glory:

Sorry to be late in replying, not often on-line. James A-S says one is wrong, which I assume is what I said was Pine species (No.1). No.2. is as you say the monkey puzzle tree (the second name of this probably should be aurucana). No.3 is Spanish Plane and numbers 4 and 5 are Oak, one being evergreen, one being deciduous.

The beauty of Linnaeus's binomial Latin names for plants is that you can ask for a plant (using its Latin name) anywhere in the world, and not have to speak the native language. Common plant names can lead to confusion. e.g. Black-eyed Susan refers to both Thunbergia and Rudbeckia.

Do try Latin plant names as they can be fun - but not if you have to write hundreds of labels as I used to do when I worked in a nursery.

17/01/2008 at 16:21
Hi Yakram. Still one wrong, I'm afraid. I never said it would be easy! I agree with you about the Latin: well worth getting through the initial confusion.
19/01/2008 at 13:15
Hi James A-S. I've just noticed that there is another bark to identify? No.6 the "old" link: so, I'm guessing at Willow (Salix spp) for that, and may I change No.1 to Fir (Abies spp)? This is my last guess, as I am not a bark expert, I just love trees, and their bark. Cheers.
04/02/2008 at 17:49
I suppose that seeing as the (somewhat limited) interest has waned I should give the answers:

1. Pinus sylvestris - Scots Pine

2. Phoenis canariensis (the bark is indeed very similar to Monkey Puzzle)

3. Platanus hispanica - London Plane
4. Quercus robur - the Oak

5. Quercus ilex - the evergreen Oak

6. Castanea sativa - sweet chestnut.

A spirited round of applause to Yakram for getting pretty darned close.

28/11/2011 at 18:30
James: Are people who love bark barking? 01. Pinus spp 02. Aurucaria aurucaria 03. Platanaus x hispanica 04. Quercus robur 05. Quercus ilex
email image
8 messages