London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
5 messages
29/03/2014 at 08:07
Hi Kate, I love your blogs. We have the bee fly here too. They fascinate me, busily probing the trumpets of lungwort. Opening the new Spring season for the show to begin.
29/03/2014 at 10:42

I think bee fly look like the golden snitch out of Harry Potter quiditch. Its the way it darts about.

05/04/2014 at 21:33
While deadheading my daffodils this morning I watched a bee fly at work on my Exochorda The Bride pushing it's long proboscis into the open flowers,this year I have seen more insects must be the warm weather.
    09/04/2014 at 09:31
Thanks @patzz!

@fidgetbones Gosh you're right... I'll never look at a bee-fly without thinking of dementors again...

@oldchippy I've seen a lot of insects this spring too. I think last year's warm weather ensured that there were a good number going into hibernation in autumn. And it seems the wet weather since then hasn't impacted much on numbers (that would be my guess). Bumblebee queens everywhere. Is lovely to see.

Kate
09/04/2014 at 09:59

Huge queen wasp sitting on my car in the sunshine yesterday morning, quite groggy.  I did wait a while but she didn't want to move on and the car was due at the garage in 15 mins, so I encouraged her to climb onto my car key and transferred her onto a dandelion in a sunny patch of lawn - she seemed happy enough 

email image
5 messages