London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
16 messages
30/04/2009 at 17:41
Well suprised there was not a local beekeeper in the vicinity ready to snap it up! I never go anywere without my swarm kit in the back of the car. Never that lucky though. A pril is very early perhaps they went back home ......
30/04/2009 at 17:43
A swarm today whether April or May,a Bee keepers delight, such a wonderful sight Bees in buzzing flight,is the bee keeping man, thinking a plan loads of Honey, or is it the money,a story of sweet success.
30/04/2009 at 20:16
How Wonderful that so many people are at last realising that if the world has to be fed we have to have bees to pollinate and not to kill every thing we dont like A bee only lives for around 8 weeks so a very busy time The Market Gardeners where I live import Bees from Holland to live in the Tunnels for the Early Strawberries and later Runner Beans and Tomatoes Crops The Bumble Bees that live in the Hedges and survive the winter here are the earliest ones and the wild honey bees much smaller are out when the ground warms up for them Ihave been chased around my garden today by the First Hornet and that I am not happy about ! We have had a very warm day after the Heavy Rain of the last few days and everything is making the most of it Looking forward to all of the May Day Celebrations in our village at the weekend with the Children as May Queens and May Kings Face Painting and the usual Fun ! A very happy and Sunny weekend to all
01/05/2009 at 11:23
Bees swarm in April, of fruit you'll have your fill.
01/05/2009 at 12:54
I always know when spring has arrived because so do the bees. We have a crack in the concrete just in front of our garage and every spring we watch the honey bees come and go down this crack. I would love to be able to see what lies beneath!
01/05/2009 at 13:46
With regard to bees can anyone tell me if I should be worried about bees disappearing into my garden borders? I recently weeded and added some mushroom compost and in one border I keep seeing bees going into holes in the border for a couple of minutes and then emerging and flying off! Can anyone help with why this is happening?
01/05/2009 at 14:14
Update According to the East Dulwich Forum, the bees were taken by a bee keeper, see the lengthy exchange of messages at: http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,260990,page=1 Meanwhile the local press managed to scare everyone with its billboard, one of several featured by the BBC: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8024511.stm
04/05/2009 at 07:02
Bumbles - I have noticed one flying into a stable and disappearing into the space between the shiplap and the inside panel. Is it (they) nesting and if so can I safely leave them to it??
04/05/2009 at 20:28
Reply to Novice Joan Unlike wasps and honeybees, bumblebees are very docile nesters. For one thing there are far fewer of them in the small untidy nest, probably only a couple of hundred at the height of the season, where wasps may have 10 – 12,000 and honeybees up to 80,000. They are also far slower to anger. Both wasps and honeybees will attack if you stand too closely to the nest, but bumblebees will just fly round you. Caution is the guiding principle here. If you and they can go about both your respective businesses without getting in each other's way or causing upset, then leave them alone. If you find they are disturbed by your continued presence and they start becoming aggressive then you may have to get rid of them. I have a nest in one of my compost bins this year. It is just 3 metres from the back door, and although we keep plonking in grass cuttings and kitchen waste, they keep coming and going apparently oblivious of our actions. And although I've mentioned it to my family, no-one else has yet noticed their activity.
04/05/2009 at 23:35
I took notes last year and, although I can't lay my eyes on them, I'm sure the bees are so much earlier and in far greater numbers this year. Just totally in your face. We linked two small 200 yr old farmbuildings together to make our cottage, incorporating both our front and back door. when both are opened it is a busy bee flight path whom have probabaly used the same air space for centuries.
07/05/2009 at 19:19
Loganslady: The bees in your flower bed are quite possibly solitary ground nesting bees. These bees don't form a hive or swarm but sometimes live in a community (imagine people in a block of flats living individual lives). Solitary bees may also live in holes in wood, brickwork, etc., depending on the type. These bees are harmless and very placid in nature so no need to worry. They are also fascinating to watch and can provide hours of enjoyment. They tend to only be around for a short while in the year (maybe just a month or two depending on species) to enjoy them while you can. :)
09/06/2009 at 16:57
Richard the bees probably love the heat from the compost bin as the worker bees keep the larvae at a temp of 35 Celsius by the body heat they generate, the bees keep the hive ventilated to within 1 Celsius then the larvae develop into pupae which is also kept at the right temp its the worker bees that keep the nest temp,humidity and cleanliness and also feed the queen and larvae. I find bees fascinating and have planted lots of bee loving flowers over the last few years and I have masonry bees in my wall and quite a few different bumble bees in my garden. Recently myself and my husband have joined a bee keeping course which makes watching bees even better, they are so clever and every one needs to do there bit to help all bees.
21/06/2009 at 18:33
I have a plant in my front garden and the bees are loving it. There at least 10 bees there at any one time. I dont know what the plant is but i do want to help the bees could someone contact me about showing them what the plant is so bee keepers can get some lol cos the bees round here cant seem to get enough of this wonderful flowering palm thing.
22/06/2009 at 12:21
Reply to insanecatlady You don't need to worry about letting beekeepers know good forage plants — the bees are very good at finding their own. honeybees regularly fly over 2 km from their hives to find good nectar and pollen sources. Although bumblebee foraging is probably less well known they almost certainly make foraging trips of hundreds of metres on each flight from the nest.
07/07/2010 at 18:53
I have a good amount of Lavender, some borage, vegetables, herbs and many other plants growing in the garden. It looks lovely but one vital ingredient is missing-BEES. Not one bee (honey or otherwise)to be seen. They were in the garden earlier this year but seem to have disappeared. I feel like I have lost my little friends.
28/11/2011 at 18:38
This story warms the heart.
email image
16 messages