London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
15 messages
19/04/2013 at 09:37
Hi Kate if it is killing the bee's and we eat there honey what could we be eating,a ticking time bomb,Oldchippy.
19/04/2013 at 10:19

You need to worry less about their honey and more about how many of our food plants they pollinate.  Without bees we would be in big trouble.

20/04/2013 at 13:41
Very good point oldchipy - what are we eating? But yes, the loss of bees would dramatically alter the types of food we eat. On top of that, I couldn't imagine a world without bees, it would be miserable!

Kate
20/04/2013 at 15:27

Yes, obelixx, we do need to think about the effect of the pesticides on our food as well as on all the pollinaters.

20/04/2013 at 16:25

I buy organic fruit, veg, cereals, eggs and honey plus well borught up fish and meat whenever I can and garden organically to produce my own fruit and veg and grow flowers for pollinators such as wild honey bees.   I have signed the petitions to stop the use of nicotinoids in pesticides and I advise members of my garden group never to use pesticide sprays. 

I can't get more worried than that about what we are ingesting in commercially grown foods.

20/04/2013 at 16:36
Today I saw a Peacock butterfly,most probably just come out of hibernation as one wing tip was missing,last year I had to wait until August to see a coloured butterfly,There seem to be a lot of bumblebee's flying all ready around the cherry tree's. Oldchippy.
20/04/2013 at 16:38
Certainly would be a different world without bees. The experts reckon we'd have about three years before most of us would starve!
20/04/2013 at 21:21

That is a misquote from Steiner!  I agree that our dinner plates would be mostly beige....bread, potatoes, pulses and so on.

21/04/2013 at 07:40
Pleased to say I saw several in the garden yesterday buzzing around and looking for somewhere to nest. Also like to add 'obelixx' you are an inspiration to us all. I do worry about the use of pesticides in particular for the next generation. I was brought up on a farm during the time when pesticides etc were little used and good old farm manure was spread to make things grow. Not sure what was used to get rid of pests, perhaps we were more tolerant then and allowed a few pests to have their share. I believe in using a mix of soap and water to spray on many pests. I also use beer to get rid of slugs. There are many non harmful methods and a pity commercial growers could not find more ways of using these.
21/04/2013 at 08:55

I saw my first one yesterday sterelitza as I was putting my little babies out in the sun for a few hours! a few butterflies as well.  I think you're right about being more tolerant of 'pests' and I also use soapy water etc and  don't like using weedkiller except when really necessary. It can be difficult to get the balance as it takes a whle but it's all about being patient...isn't that what we gardeners are meant to have plenty of! 

21/04/2013 at 13:45

I've seen a few bumble bees so far and yesterday had to rescue one that got stuck in the tomato plants on my window sill.  I've built an insect hotel to shelter them and other insects though it needs renovating after the birds have removed some of the fillings like straw and pine cones.   I've also drilled holes in our walls for sloitary bees and wasps to live and lay their eggs.

I have lots fo fruit bushes and veggies that need insect pollination so I don't use any sprays at all as even soapy water can affect beneficial insects.  If I have a major infestation of aphids and not enough ladybirds I'll sometimes blast them off with a spray from the hose pipe but I find that hanging peanut feeders near susceptible plants like roses encourages the birds to come and feast on the pests.   They also take most of the caterpillars of my brassicas so it's win win.

21/04/2013 at 21:09
Ban the chemicals now i say, agro chemical companies want quick bucks, they couldent care less about the damage or consequences of chemical toxicity.
    22/04/2013 at 18:49

Thanks for all your comments. Me too, obelixx. Great to hear so many of you are seeing bees and butterflies out. Hope they have a good year.

Kate

24/04/2013 at 10:36

Hi   

As i only grow flowers i dont use any poisons, and i detest slug pellets.

I blame them for the lack of song thrush, i used to see lots 15 years ago

now i have to go to the fields to see one!

15/07/2013 at 22:07

Like most people, I am not in a postion to talk about the bee pollination aspect.With regard the pesticide side, they  are not used lightly as are very expensive. One use is as Frontline for domestic animals! Perhaps the ban will impact people in ways not envisaged?

They are often used for  the difficult pests like mealy bug & vine weavils which are difficult to target.

email image
15 messages