London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
16 messages
13/05/2011 at 16:35
Just spent two fab days at the Malvern Show - there is so much to see it takes that long and we still didn't see all the show gardens. Matthew Wilson didn't just warm the crowd - he was HOT!! Was that a new haircut James Alexander Sinclair had? I thought it was a syrup! I may wish we had noted Matthew Wilson's warning about not buying damp shade loving plants for our hot dry garden but sometimes you just can't resist...
13/05/2011 at 17:38
I am really fed up that I can't get to the show, still I am busy tring to get things done in my own garden and shall watch the show tonight, dissapointed that it's only on for half an hour, would have liked it to be more in depth. would be better than all that football that they keep churning out.
14/05/2011 at 07:43
Couldn't agree with you more kaycurtis, there is far too much football on. I love watching all the specials from the different gardening shows that Gardeners World do as I am unable to go to go to any of them, and yes half an hour isn't long enough an hour would be a lot better but love it anyway.
14/05/2011 at 07:52
Being a very keen advocate of biodiversity I would love to have been at the Malvern Show with the opportunity to meet the team but we have our Alpine Garden Society Group summer outing on Sunday, and one cannot afford everything when one is saving up for a potager to be built. I would not have been able to resist buying some of those lovely alpines Carol pointed out. No doubt I will return from Dewstow Gardens with some more ferns for the fernery and from the Welsh National Botanic Gardens with new plans for the future. When I visited last year I embarked on a slate garden as their's was so beautiful in the rain! You could see from the TV coverage how open and easy to get round the Malvern Show is, and it always offers a great day out.
14/05/2011 at 09:19
I have made a promise to myself to visit our local gardens, close by we have Crook Hall and Alnick garden. Went to Alnick before it was finished, will go again. Can some one explain what is biodiversity.
14/05/2011 at 11:16
Biodiversity, lazygardener, simply means a mixture of lots of different species, genuses and families of plants which in their turn will attract lots of different insects, whether predators or beneficial. It means the plants have a greater chance of survival because a disease like a virus will not spread so easily if there is different immunity to it in the plant population. Carpet bedding has little biodiversity while a wildflower meadow has a lot. Hope that helps. I am sure you are not at all lazy if you ask questions like that.
14/05/2011 at 12:40
Having had some lunch after doing some biodiversity gardening(planting sugar peas between my rows of potatoes), lesson no.2. We lost our elm trees to the elm tree beetle because they were all of the same species. Last year in Bristol, many Robinia "Freesia" trees died in Bristol because of a pathogenic disease, including mine. They had all come from the same stock. It is the same in all of biology. Royal families have died out because of inbreeding. Animal colonies that fall in numbers below a certain level because of loss of habitat will become extinct. We ignore biodiversity at our peril Anyway everyone should agree with the saying "variety is the spice of life"
14/05/2011 at 15:45
Thank you for explaining to me biodiversity. I realise now why this year I have so many different insects, birds, bumble bees etc, as I have not been clearing and tiding up the garden due to flu and pulled ligaments. I have a nettle patch, I Have no lawn, but a small of grass, due to lack of neglect. I am looking at these areas, and wondering if I am able to make a wild area and keep all wild life. I have never had so many finchs visit my garden. Thank you happymarion, I will diffently replan my garden.
16/05/2011 at 09:52
lazygardener - interesting how you say you have more insect life in the garden because you've not been clearing and tidying as much. Many people find that is the case. If you keep your long grass you may have speckled wood butterflies breeding in it. happymarion - thanks, as ever, for your input. On a different note altogether, I made my Gardeners' World TV debut at Malvern on Friday night - well, the top of my head did! Kate
16/05/2011 at 13:38
The grass patch has quite a few shrubs large and small,according to the write up, as I googled the said butterly, it is the right type of enviroment. Near by I have a large maple tree and lilac bushs. A massive buddleja, the ball variety. Thank you for the information I was about to spray the area with weed killer.
16/05/2011 at 21:56
I have certainly embraced the concept of gardening for wildlife in my new plot and have made log piles and even hurdles from branches all cut from trees in the garden which I have had to prune (recycling also!!). These wild piles combined with an area of long grass/wild meadow should really help all those valuable little critters who do so much good! I am also fortunate to have a wild Hawthorne hedge at the bottom of the garden and have purposely kept the area immediately under it messy and have even been dumping leaves under it which are now teaming with insects as well as a couple of toads! http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/
17/05/2011 at 13:44
My wood mice have not been killed by the severe winter. I saw one go to the feeder of sun flower seeds this morning I find them rather cute. Do they eat slugs?
18/05/2011 at 07:37
A little drizzle in Bristol last night so my newly planted ferns from Dewstow Gardens and my alpines from the NBG of Wales are off to a good start. Although it was a cloudy day I saw many butterflies and bees out feeding in Dewstow as it has wonderful biodiversity and a sight I saw at the NBG of Wales will stay with me for ever. They have beautiful wild flower meadows there and one large corner has big clumps of purple iris scattered through it. Purple iris with buttercups at their feet - bliss. Just look for the bull if you can go to see them.
20/05/2011 at 20:10
is it possible to grow a courgette plant inbetween 4 climbing french bean plants in a 45cm pot
21/05/2011 at 17:03
Have you heard how the native American Indians showed the starving English settlers how to grow beans up sweetcorn and squashes in between? You should have enough room in your pot but remember to keep them well watered.
28/11/2011 at 18:43
I enjoyed Malvern - my first visit after years of trying to get there. It certainly helped moving 100 miles closer! Nice to see designers making provision for wildlife but I did feel for the goldfinch singing from one of the posts. It can't be easy having your territory change completely over the course of a few days! Local bumble bees had a fantastic time and a patch of french lavender had a few species making the most of the show. They also pointed out which plants were prefered on a few of the nursery sales stands too! I look forward to next year's show..
email image
16 messages