Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Birds - make your own bird box

Thank you 'Gardeners World' for the very easy instructions on
how to build a simple bird nesting box. I now have three boxes
in my garden.

• i shall be making some bird boxes and placing them in our allotment..thanks.
  • Thanks for the details. I'm going to be making the bird boxes with the elderly folk at our "Church Holiday at Home" event.

Later Graham
  • Hi there. You mentioned in the article that the box should be facing a north-easterly direction. Would it be possible to face the box south instead? Only, if I was to place it north-east, it would be facing completely the wrong way, and would not be visible from the house. Thanks. Awaiting your reply. :)
  • Clear instructions - should be feasible for the Youth Club
  • i have lots of cats and i can't find anywhere to put a bird box or food
    can you please give me some tips
  • Quick and easy, but don't use recommended size screws and nails!!!
  • secure the top of the box with a leather band od
    hinge so you can peep at the young and also clean the box easier when needed
  • I cover the tops of my boxes with damp proof course it also acts as the hinge and keeps the rain off. it comes in all widths you may find some in a builders skip.

• ninareddin can your cats clime the house walls, thats a good place as any but face the hole away from the sun or the chick will cock inside on hot days.

• My birdbox is facing east.    This avoids the hot sun from the south, and the cold wind from the north.   This summer great-tits raised two clutches in it.