London (change)
Today 14°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
12 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:28
Chris, 2 metres? You seemed about 3 metres up! ?
24/11/2011 at 15:28
I disagree with the thought that you can keep feeders up in Spring/ Summer. I have , for the first time, and , reluctantly, took down my feeders. To my amazement , i have had just the same, if not more , variety's of birds ,on the lawn and hedges. This experiment was hard to implement , but i am reaping the benefit at the moment.
Regarding the Box to attract Blackbirds etc, would not that be prone to Squirrels, and Magpies?
24/11/2011 at 15:29
I have put a bird box on the side of my shed along with 2 feeders; one with seed and the other fat balls. They have been hung out for over 4 weeks and the food hasnt run out. Doesnt seem to work in my garden. Do you think its my dog scaring them away?
24/11/2011 at 15:29
I like the idea of putting a plastic sheet on the grass to wait for the slugs to come up, for the birds to feast on. Brilliant.
27/01/2012 at 13:30
Could your videos please have subtitles. I am deaf so I am unable to follow the instructions.
Thanks
05/03/2012 at 11:41
This has helped me a a lot and like the idea of covering the lawn , and I did not know you could have a open bird box.
05/03/2012 at 11:48
I would say you dog id scarring them as we have a dog at work and when he comes round station they soon go or do you have a bird of prey around your area as I had one and all the wild birds stopped feeding until he left and as to the fat balls they seem to be very fussy I have the RSPB ones and they are hard but the ones in the red mesh they love, not saying the birds do not like the RSPB ones but just seems to take them longer to eat which cannot be a bad thing for the wallet hope this helps.
05/03/2012 at 13:23

Please don't put fatballs out in the pastic mesh they come wrapped in as birds can get tangled in them. Tip:  If you put fatballs and other suet feeds in the fridge they last longer.  Try moving your feeders superbrill, if they are too near a bird box it can cause problems, also birds like to have some trees/shrubs nearby the feeders so they can duck back under cover if predators show up.  I have a dog and also a regular visiting sparrowhawk but it doesn't seem to put the birds off for long

05/05/2012 at 11:16
awsome
26/04/2014 at 08:26

I have blue tits  in my bird box, and had blackbirds in my bay shrub,the magpie got the baby blackbirds and they have now gone, also had a baby pigeon that died overnight probably somebody's cat. any ideas how I can protect the birds better. ps the bluetitis seem ok but I have seen a sparrow trying to get into the box is this normal ?

26/04/2014 at 11:59

Sparrows and blue tits use the same boxes, so yes, that's normal. What you need is, of course, more boxes. North-facing, ten feet up, with plenty of clear space in front of them so the birds can see around before they leave. I'd say they should be somewhere with low traffic, but I've seen house martens nest in pub doorways and blue tits nesting by a farm's main door.

Experiment still not done: RSPB's cheaper treat blocks, RSPB's mroe expensive treat blocks, Garden Bird Supplies' treat blocks, the GC's treat blocks and the local shop's cheap treat blocks, in multiple feeders, rotated every couple of days, to see which ones the birds like most.

To protect blackbird chicks from marauding magpies, I recommend an underlever .177 at 11.5 ft-lb, a fixed magnification scope (if you get a 2x50 you can see into shadows with it), plenty of practice on paper targets at 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30 and 35 metres ... and sharp reflexes, because those baby-snatching b*****ds are fast. I still suspect they're psychic. They can tell when you're thinking about aiming at them.

08/05/2014 at 18:32
Hi I thought the idea of watering last thing and covering the lawn with polythene, then lifting in the morning to allow the birds to eat the slugs etc that come to the surface. Will definately give it a go!!
email image
12 messages