London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
18 messages
08/01/2009 at 19:42
"Recent spate of mild winters " not in north Northumberland im affraid ! Amazing how these little chaps make it through these winter nights.
08/01/2009 at 22:28
I feed the birds , as in hang out peanuts and fat balls , and chase the cats but.... there was a big RAT feeding yesterday !! I feel like removing all my feeders , what else can I do ?
08/01/2009 at 22:29
And it is jolly chilly here at the moment
09/01/2009 at 00:04
Its deinately winter here, have 2 Robins in the garden regularly and feed the family of 4 squirrels all year...
10/01/2009 at 11:00
Our garden is full of birds at the moment. We have had a most interesting visitor a strange male blackbird with what looks like a white painted collar around his neck. I believe it is Leucism. Has anyone else seen one like this? He is very tame following us around with no fear.
10/01/2009 at 14:38
I had a sighting of a Goldcrest in my urban garden last week for the first time in 27 years of living here. It was foraging at the patio door where seeds and other goodies are left out for the birds. Didn't realise how tiny they are. I have lots of trees and shrubs which offer shelter which probably helped attract it into the garden. This year I have had the usual visitors - blackbirds, loads of all kinds of tits, very few sparrows, chaffinchs, robin, wren and of course a couple of those dratted magpies. Re the blackbird with the white collar, I had a brood of piebald blackbirds which hatched a few years back. Didnt see them later in the year and assume they either moulted into plain black or moved away.
12/01/2009 at 22:40
I have a robin that flies into my back porch when i let my dog out before work in the morning. I watched him and he tucks into some apples i have stored. I have added some corn and peanuts he tucks in every morning !!!
13/01/2009 at 15:39
came back from our saturday morning walk to find our cat had brought us a present a FIRECREST he unfortunatley died! the bird not the cat!although i threatened thomas the same fate if he did it again .i'v never seen one in the garden before they are so beatiful.last summer we had a blackbird that would wait till we fed our pond fish and swoop in to eat the pellets he could reach.
13/01/2009 at 16:25
I live in north/east london/essex borders and saw a goldcrest at 4pm on saturday 10 Jan. Never seen one before. Eating buds off trees. What a stunner.
15/01/2009 at 13:53
This is the second year we have seen a goldcrest in our garden ,always exciting to see. Acouple of weeks ago had 20 long tailed tits flitting in and out of the shrubs. Here in Bristol it has been freezing, but still plenty of birds.
19/01/2009 at 09:09
I live on the edge of Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire my garden is surrounded by tall trees, and rooks nest in the beech trees leaving their nests in the morning and returning at night, I have many bird tables dotted around full of nuts, fat balls, seeds etc etc and rarely have birds feeding off them, I need to know why?? please help
26/01/2009 at 21:47
Reply to Gerry. Salisbury Plain is one of the great wildlife reserves in this country. It may be that there is just plenty of food elsewhere for the birds. Don't let this discourage you though, continue making the garden a wildlife-friendly place by creating varied planting, diverse plant architecture, multiple habitats and secluded corners and things will visit, even if you do not see them promenading on the bird tables.
30/01/2009 at 22:03
I have recently observed goldcrest in diffrent locations around our village in East Herts flying with flocks of bluetit. This is the first year i had observed them but concidered i had not looked hard enough before. Other local people have remarked to me that they have seen them coming to the bird table in their gardens.
31/01/2009 at 14:50
I too have 2 goldcrests in my garden this winter.We have a flock of about 20 longtail tits in the area but 5 of these frequently stay on the nut/fat balls in my garden for long periods.I have 2 dunnocks on the patio every day,also robins, blackbirds,wrens,starlings and 4 woodpigeons the size of small turkeys! When we moved in 2 years ago the garden rarely saw a bird as the previous owners had cats. I feel quite proud of my new friends and feed them every day.
09/02/2009 at 22:26
We live in Nottingham and are gradually turning our garden into a bird haven, we have blue tits, great tits, long tailed tits, robins, blackbirds, magpies, starlings, woodpigeons, doves, sparrows and magpies. I have purchased one of those see through stick on your window bird feeders but no one will go near it, any ideas ?
28/01/2011 at 09:12
We have recently moved to North Lincolnshire. And are pleased to find lots of birds in our garden. We have put up a new bird feeder as the one that was already there couldn't cope with the number of birds feeding from it. I didn't realise how many different tits there were. I bought a Gardners World mag which had a leaflet about birds in your garden showing all the different types. I found myself hooked on looking at the birds and how many different types we have. Blue tits,great tits,long tailied tits, coal tits, robins,blackbirds,starlings, collard doves, sparrows and a number of pheasants one with a wobbly leg, but he can still run fast!. My daughter is also showing an interest in the birds.
31/01/2011 at 17:17
i live in fakenham and saw a wood pigeon,house sparrow,chaffinch,collared dove,starling and blackbird
28/11/2011 at 18:37
first time in my 45 yrs of life i have seen long tailed tits at first i thought they were budgies so i invested in a bird book to find what these birds were.I have also had a pair of bull finches eating the nuts that i put out on the fat balls i get coal tits on the ground are robins and doves sometimes a little wren visits i think as do sparrows sterlings the occasional blackbird and blue tits my 2yr old granddaughter loves looking at the birds as well as the squrrel that visits
email image
18 messages