London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
11 messages
17/05/2013 at 18:37
I made an open fronted bird box a couple of weeks ago for sparrows with out much luck before I had an operation on my hand,I have time now to watch for the birds,there's been quite a lot of activity in the new leaves so there must be food in there for them.Why do wood pigeons eat the new leaves on my golden plum tree and leave a mess on the path under it. Oldchippy.
17/05/2013 at 18:37
I made an open fronted bird box a couple of weeks ago for sparrows with out much luck before I had an operation on my hand,I have time now to watch for the birds,there's been quite a lot of activity in the new leaves so there must be food in there for them.Why do wood pigeons eat the new leaves on my golden plum tree and leave a mess on the path under it. Oldchippy.
KEF
18/05/2013 at 09:51

Oldchippy. As the saying goes " no good deed goes unpunished", well done with the bird box. Are you any good at making pigeon pie?

18/05/2013 at 14:40
The trouble is when I see the pigeons the dogs go running down the path and bring back a nice deposit on there feet,I wouldn't eat pigeons of any type.Having worked in many old infested buildings I'm sure they cant be good to eat.
18/05/2013 at 15:18

Indeed, why anyone would eat flying rats quite defeats me!  The pigeons that were raised for eating as as far distant from the detestable creatures hanging aorund humanity as wolves are from lap dogs. Your nice new leaves are sweet and soft, good grub for nearly everything, including, sadly, pigeons. 

18/05/2013 at 15:54
And now they are trying to get us to eat insects.
24/05/2013 at 09:08
I have blue tits in my home made beach hut nesting boxes. I also have a greater spotted woodpecker in the garden who tries to destroy the boxes and get at the chicks. They peck the hole and very quickly makes it the size of a tennis ball. I have had to do running repairs to reduce the size of the opening to prevent the woodpecker getting in. The blue tits are still tooing and froing as if their lives depend on it[their babies does depend on it] so hopefully they will survive.
24/05/2013 at 10:07
oldchippy wrote (see)
And now they are trying to get us to eat insects.

Is that why I have wings chippy? 

TomC I think you can get little metal rings to fit on the opening to prevent this..or you could probably make something if you're handy enough to have made the boxes anyway. I hope they survive- they are so tiny and the parents work so hard raising the numerous clutches they have in the year.

24/05/2013 at 11:52

Tom C if you get the top off of a ring pull can flatten if out and drill a hole in it and screw it over the hole it will deter the Woodpecker,it may still try to get in round the bottom of the box. 

24/05/2013 at 14:59

I feel that the birds are now nesting out of a desperate need to do this than having casual relationships ! I have NO idea where da boidies are nesting, but there are certainly lots of newly fledged babies around at the moment. Baby spuggies, and blackbirds are being fed perched on the trug handle, bench arm rests and around the feeder drop zones. Who can resist the look of a fledgling with mouth agape, and calling urgently for it's parent's attention ?

I'll be orft to the lotty in a short time, to do a few un-noisy jobs up there, and hopefully take a few photo's of what's going on.

I have yet to persuade any bird species to occupy a nesting box. Every year tho', without fail, garden wasps occupy a box or two, and at the end of the wasp season, leave a beautiful paper nest behind.

I would remind any kindly intentioned peeps out there that if feeding birds with mealy worms, DO soak them for about 10 minutes before putting them out, ( the worms, NOT the babies !) as if fed to squabs and fledglings, it is easier for the babies to swallow and digest ! After all, we don't feed OUR babies uncooked spagetti, do we ?????

30/05/2013 at 19:07
awesome post Kate I fill the same way as this is the first year I have had any birds in my camera nest box and I had a lovely blue tit family nest in their they started on the 4 th of may you can see my camera which are live 24/7 http://www.talkwildlife.com/profile/LindaJunePenney
email image
11 messages