London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
12 messages
14/04/2011 at 12:51
hope the poor blighter wasnt in the way of the berry fields bulldozer
15/04/2011 at 23:50
I've dug ponds in my two previous gardens and really enjoyed the wildlife, (frogs & newts etc) in them. I suppose I've had a pond of some form for about 20years now! We moved house last year for a bigger garden and my collection of fish came with us (again!) I have koi, green & golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Gold fish, crucian carp amongst others. These fish have grown really big now so my new pond was built around their needs and is raised from the ground, unfortunately it doesn't support the the wildlife of my previous ponds which I do really miss. the other reason for the pond being raised and covered is due to having a young child...have to say that I can't wait until she is old enough for me to dig a wildlife pond again!! Higgy http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/
18/04/2011 at 13:16
My grandsons aged 4 and 2 discovered newts in our pond yesterday and were enthralled. After a winter of pondlife losses, these were a wonderful sign that life has returned with a vengeance.
18/04/2011 at 20:27
This is the 4th year of our pond and it has been brilliant. Life just seems to appear from nowhere.For the first 2 years my wife and i were absolutely captivated by whirligig beatles,then nothing not one!I thought maybe it was due to the winter or something else natural that occurs.Pond skaters have returned after the winter but no whirligigs, any thoughts. Could i introduce them my self, though i'd rather they just came back naturally.
22/04/2011 at 04:46
My pond is a half barrel with waterlilies, irises, and a few other little plants, no newts but an occational frog, where have all the newts gone that used to be here along with the grasshoppers that used to frequent my garden, got plenty of slugs and snails peskie little molluscs.
22/04/2011 at 14:00
My autumn fruiting raspberries have curled and deformed leaves which seem to contain an insect.What is this and can I treat it? thanks
23/04/2011 at 13:23
I recently transplanted my camelias from large pots into the ground of our new home, all appeared well at first. They both looked quite healthy and began to form buds as if to flower. Then the flower buds started to turn brown and fall off so i fed them with blood and bone meal and now they look really sick. The leaves are turning brown and falling off. Does anyone know what i should do to revive them.
23/04/2011 at 18:52
The dog is fascinated by the ones round our pond. They definitely add something to a garden.
25/04/2011 at 19:58
Reply to Sarahs Pondlife. Check out this link to see if you have palmate newts. They are very similar, and the markings are sometimes difficult to fully appreciate unless you see both species side by side. http://www.froglife.org/advice/FAQs/newts/species.htm The male back feet webs are the most certain ID feature.
05/06/2011 at 18:41
Does anyone know how to remove wasps that appear to be making a home of my rather nice pot of orange lillies, only I got stung on my ankle, of all places, when I moved the pot which brought this issue to my attention. I have today kept seeing the wasps going into the pot rather than landing on the flowers, I cant see a nest but wondered if they were burrowing. Can I remove them humanely or will I need to kill them and my lillies. Any advice would be welcomed?
19/06/2011 at 08:23
@Richard Jones. I found this link that has photos and a good description on the palmate newt, along with the smooth and great crested newt. http://www.totalecology.com/news/2011/newts-native-to-the-uk/
28/11/2011 at 18:43
hi richard,please could you help me,,i have some newts in my pond [only about 3 i think],and im really sure they are palmate newts i keep looking at them and then checking on-line[pictures] and they have all the markings of palmates ie orange/yellowish spots on belly they are quite small, but they are defiently not smooth newts as they do not at all look like your pictures plus i went onto your link as well.... if they are palmate newts are theses quite rare [only someone said to me they are and that i would have to inform someone..BUT WHO do i inform??? im a bit worried as ive had a lot of work done in my garden the past few weeks and im a bit concerned that ive disturbed them!!!!! they have been in my garden for a few years now but ive never has newt spawn,however this past few weeks i keep getting some kind of whiteish stuff/slime floating ontop of the water,but that i guess could just be snail stuff.[maybe].
email image
12 messages