London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 16°C
21 to 31 of 31 messages
04/01/2014 at 21:16

Thanks Higgy - definitely of interest.  I will take a bit more notice of our peacocks this summer - i know we have quite a few of them as they are my teenage daughter's favourite instagram subject

I bought myself a butterfly book ( to go with my bird book and wild flower one) last year - once you start to notice these things i find you want to know more about them, and to be able to tell one from the other.  However, moths have me stumped at the moment - currently they all look the same to my undiscerning eye

04/01/2014 at 21:37
04/01/2014 at 22:18

Thanks Nut.  I have a guide to butterflies and moths, but as yet haven't got my eye in on the moths - they just all look brown and speckled.  But once upon a time i couldn't tell a penstemon from a foxglove, so i shall persevere ......

04/01/2014 at 22:20

I'm not very good at it. I have a friend who is, so when I'm stuck (often) she has the answer.

I shall persevere as well

05/01/2014 at 01:25

Chicky,

Lovely to hear that you have an interest and if you're not careful you'll get hooked like nut and myself!!

I belong to a local wildlife group and this summer we ran moth trapping sessions in my garden. We basically set up four traps around the garden and then the next morning we invited interested members to come around and help identify them! This was extremely good fun and I think everyone learnt a lot as we all got the chance to see lots of moths close up and have a really detailed look at them! We were also lucky to have a local mot expert with us and he could ID the more difficult ones for us and tell everyone some of the history behind local moth populations etc!

My wife also put on a cream tea so it was a thoroughly enjoyable morning! One of the best things though was the absolute fascination my 6yr old daughter had for the moths and speaking with everyone else about them. She certainly learnt lots and with the added job of chief moth releaser she loved it!

I'm not sure how old your daughter is but if you can find someone to do some trapping or try a little yourself you will both learn heaps!

Maybe you have a local wildlife group near to you who already do this type of thing or would be interested in trying it in your garden?...

Just a thought?

One of my favorites is the Rosy Footman as below (who said moths are dull?!?..

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/35571.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

Best

Higgy

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.co.uk/

05/01/2014 at 16:50

moths are never boring

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/35589.jpg?width=210&height=350&mode=max

06/01/2014 at 22:08
A couple of peacock butterflies are overwintering in my friends house, she is feeding them honey, is there a better food to be feeding them to give them the best chance of survival until spring?
06/01/2014 at 22:31

I think I'd gently move them to somewhere outside. shed, garage, anywhere unheated

08/01/2014 at 20:53

Great to come late into this conversation. I was really pleased that various people were reporting brimstones from 2 January. And I subsequently discover that my sister regularly gets small tortoiseshells hibernating in her wardrobe. This needs further research. 

08/01/2014 at 21:08

Great to see this still rolling as it's a great subject!

Annie, It's really not good that the butterflies are hibernating in the house as with the central heating it is unnatural and too hot which may make them wake when it's still too cold outside.

It would be good if she could be persuaded to move them somewhere where there's no central heating such as a garage or even better the garden shed or similar but with the chance to wake and fly if the weather gets warm enough?

They shouldn't really require feed but it doesn't hurt to put some out and the general rule is a mix of sugary solution made up of 50% water and 50% sugar and just leave it nearby and they will find it if they need it.

I hope that this helps?

Best

Higgy

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/

09/01/2014 at 09:18

My daughter gets Tortoiseshells hibernating in their Victorian apartment - she relocates those she finds into the old brick garden shed which is dry and just about frost free. 

We move ours into the garage. 

email image
21 to 31 of 31 messages