Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Broad beans

Hi Kate ,That's what gardening is all about,Who care's more than the gardener,

Oldchippy.

• Hi Kate ,
    I have also planted my first Broad Beans out in the veg garden I am trying to create, no idea what I am doing so have also planted some in degradable pots in the polytunnel which is also a first for me. Hoping I get some success . I am very eager to plant all sorts of veg but worried about conditions. Any advise?

Lynda
  • I have grown Sutton as they seem to be the best for my garden and I like the small beans,

If you do not try diffident ways of gardening then how will you ever find the best for your ground so keep trying diffident ways and who know you might start a new trend
  • PoolcuePoolcue Posts: 3
    Unfortunately this year my Bunyard Exhibition are showing no signs of life,but I have some Aquadulce that have broken this soil and will be planted up at the allotment when the weather is suitable
  • happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591
    Hello,Kate. I have two oblongs with six broad bean plants in each now over a foot tall in my first potager raised bed, I put canes at each corner and twine round the canes as they are "Aquadulce. I sowed them in Feb. in the conservatory. I still get a great thrill out of making a whole meal from garden produce I have grown myself, and now I am getting even more pleasure from arranging my plants artistically in my raised beds which are so easy to manage.
  • Hi Kate, I was the same as you when I first took over my plot wanted to plant every thing at once so I planted broad beans . What do you mean special broad beans there all the same [twit] when the first frost came so did the death of my broad beans. Now I know the differance Super Aquaduice Winter Broad Bean,planted 65 beans in Oct/Nov had about 20lb ready for the freezer, that was 2010.This year planted two packets approx 140 beans they stand about 2/3ft high plant in the late time of the year beat the black fly. Remember when you walk down your line of peas and you pick one open it and pop them in your mouth remember YOU DID IT THE DIDN'T.
  • lakeladylakelady Posts: 1

Hi Kate, I planted my Broad Beans in April in Victoria  Australia, I have been growing them for a few years and was told to water the seeds in with Epsom Salts it seem to work all the seeds came up. I also keep my own seeds for planting next year, My own seeds seem germinate more readily. Enjoy

• Planted some small aquadulce plantlets this week, sown originally in individual pots in greenhouse. Glad I didn't plant earlier as deer visited garden and chomped my parsley, which will grow again. Broad beens would stand no chance!

I love eating small beans straight from the garden, like sweets, as I garden. No need to cook!
  • talking about Broad Beans, I read in an article in a newspaper about a month ago or even maybe 6 weeks that it was ok to plant half a dozen or so in the greenhouse, and thats what I did, made my own paper

pots and covered them with some of this bubble wrap

and now ive got a load of plants already in flower

in the Greenhouse, and ive not got any heating at all apart from the odd candle which i leave burning overnight. Ive nop idea whether i should put them out in the garden around now, whether it gonna be too cold, but ive got to do something with them. And today ive planted another half dozen beans for a crop later in the year. The best thing however is that im the only one in the house that likes broad beans. brooklynguy.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Broad beans are very hardy Brooklynguy, so the cold won't really bother them, especially as you have grown them in an unheated greenhouse.  Some varieties (like Aquadulce) can be sown direct in Autumn and the young plants survive snow and frost without protection.  I'd get them planted out now - you need the bees to pollinate them in order to form beans anyway.  I get to eat all of the broad beans here too - I've been known to have a large bowl of them covered with a few dabs of butter as my main meal - yummy!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • I always plant Aqualdulce/Aqualdulce Claudia last week of October/first week November depending on the weather. Replacements are sown February/March under glass to fill in the gaps and provide succession.

However due to the lack of ice/snow/frost this is the first spring that I see no gaps and the plants are standing up to 6" high.

The variety that I first sowed last year in March was Stereo. This provides small mangetoute broad beans and would be ideal for people with little space.

I do not normally like large broad beans, so we pick early and the large ones are preferred by SWMBO.