Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Chitting seed potatoes

In these extreme cold temperatures are you having to heat the greenhouse every night to stop the frost getting to your potatoes. Would a bubble wrap tent be enough?

• Hi Steve!! I like you am a little concerned about this coldsnap!! Although my seed potatoes are ordered they have not yet arrived!  Which concidering the weather it may be a good thing!! and with space at a premium in my little back yard japanesed themed water garden being mainly two sets of decking the rear one being 6inch higher than the front one just outside my French doors linked by a bridge going over a 4m wide 2m length coi pond, I have invested in a little walk in plastic greenhouse to try n bring on all my seedlings etc this year having been awarded an allotment after a 3yr wait!! Yippeee! and am now thinking this ain't gunna be up to the job!!! Untill I get my allotment sorted that is!!!!

• I ordered my seed potatoes online which arrived on the 1st Feb as it is my first time I cleaned off a large rack in my shed by the windows and laid out the potatoes. The problem is quite a few of them have gone very soft and even wet, some got a white foam oozing out of them, just wondering have I laid them out to early and if so how should I have stored them until the time was right.
  • Hey up Rizzo! Seed potatoes do generally go soft upon chitting, but the fact they have gone wet n oozing doesn't sound good!  Thinking your shed ain't as dry n frost free as ya thought it was! But hey!! On the plus side!  n I know at extra expence! You do still have time to replace n try again! and I would by the sounds!!! I Chit mine on my kitchen windowsill, indoors, where it is warm n light, but not too light!! Hope this helps!!

• Thanks Dean thought that would be the case starting again is probably safest bet
  • Yo Rizzo! Mine have finally arrived! Yippeee!  Now sat on my kitchen windowsill, happily chitting away! Hope you did replace yours! n very good luck in ya first year!!  Happy Gardening!! 

• Hi Rizzo

I've had the same happen to me on my community allottment Green Patch.We had 250 chitting in our large polytunnel and lost them all to the reason frost and had to start chitting a new lot>This time we are covering them with fleece if a cold night is forecast
  • nigelwnigelw Posts: 5
    Hi' I dont plant out my chitted potatoes until the middle of march and if theres a frost i cover with a fleece' if you have white oozing from your potatoes the sadly they have been hit by the frost and you will have to replace them
  • Do i have to buy seed potatoes? Cant i just use the left over potatoes from my larder cupboard that are starting to sprout?

• Rizzo68Rizzo68 Posts: 5
    Got new seed potatoes after frost got at last ones, glad to say they are now sprouting nicely in my poly tunnel !!!!
  • Second time lucky the new lot of early potatoes are now chitting well can't wait to get them in the ground