Register with us or sign in
Regarding horse tail - I used to have this in my old garden and it gradually got weaker as I kept digging it out as far down as I could and I made sure none of the leaves (are they leaves?) broke off into the soil to prevent new ones growing. Good luck.
I'm hoping to refresh this thread, as I was going to ask the same thing. We suddenly have a plague of cleavers (aka goose grass or "sticky willie"), probably because we reomved a big conifer and there's a lot more light in this part of the garden. Can I compost it or will it return to haunt me next year?
One good thing about cleavers....if you cut yourself in the garden, squished cleavers pressed against the cut will stop the bleeding; it's a natural coagulant
I have tried contact weed killers and nothing seems to be happening, please please what else can be done?
My tortoises love them but right now I could feed half of galapagos with the growth they've put on in the warm, wet conditions!
A bit of research with the help pf Mr Google suggests that it's fine to put cleavers on the compost as long as you do it before it's set seed (around August).
Good to know. I was in two minds about the compost bin.
Yes my cats too spread this around!! It's not too bad if you can keep on top of it by pulling them out before they have seeds. Any one know a failsafe method for killing broadleaf ivy as its creeping over from a neighbours and ruining my expensive fence? thanks in advance.
Fine if you pick it young - once it's flowered and gone to seed it's not pleasant.
Best composted young for me
I have cleavers all over our bluebell wood so cant spray and a bit challenging to do by hand. Any suggestions please. Tragog
I find it so easy to pull out that I wouldn't bother with weedkillers, just yank it out. Big patches can be pulled out with a rake (the sticky branches work in your favour here!) Firmly rooted bluebells and other plants will be left looking ragged for a while but will survive. (If they do get accidentally raked out of the ground, quickly replant them!)
Cleavers give me a nasty rash. I pull them and then leave them to dry on the lawn for a few hours and then they can go on the compost heap. For serious nasties like bindweed and couch grass and creeping buttercup I leave the plants and roots to dry out for a day or so so they're dead before they go on the compost. Horsetail goes into the dustbin, again after drying out first.