London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
14 messages
19/07/2008 at 10:50
I've tried five Clematis in my garden over the years and every one survived for only one year before keeling over with Clematis wilt. I'm not sure if it's the local soil but they're not successful for me, I even tried burying a large pot in the ground with a special mix in it but again it died in the second summer - so I've given up with Clematis, any advice would be happily received.
22/07/2008 at 11:58
Marina, you must try growing any variety of Clematis viticella, as these are resistant to clematis wilt. I grow a fabulous variety called 'Pagoda' that has been in flower for weeks. The blooms are smaller than large-flowered summer hybrids, but what they lack in size they make up for in quantity.
03/08/2008 at 11:59
As Arabella is an herbaceous clematis is it liable to wilt? and should it cut to the ground each year
18/08/2008 at 19:34
I have this clematis that grows up through my Climber "Golden Showers". I cut it right back to the ground as soon as the flowers finish and each spring I have loads of new shoots which flower right up to the end of September.
13/10/2008 at 20:10
Reply to Julie: I don't think impatiens downy mildew will spread to other non-related plants, like wallflowers. And no, there really isn't any soil treatment available to gardeners. Perhaps the weather will be different next summer and this disease will not be a problem, but the nurserymen I have spoken to are very worried about it. If your impatiens were affected this summer I would recommend avoiding growing them next year, but remember that New Guinea Impatiens are not affected.
30/05/2009 at 02:02
How deep should clematis be planted? If I remember correctly I read it can be planted a couple of inches below soil level to protect the fragile stem. Would it be advisable to leave a depression for the first year or so and then fill it in later?
19/05/2010 at 11:07
I have a very unrully Ckematis macropetala "Markham's Pink" neglected for years. Can I cut it right down and will it come again?
12/05/2011 at 09:34
I am looking to buy 'Arabella' Clematis but I can't seem to find one, could you help I live in Hornchurch Essex thankyou
22/05/2011 at 10:46
Maureen, I just purchased a small pot of Arabella clematis from Morrisons supermarket for £1.79. They have a surprisingly good selection of climbers!
09/06/2011 at 11:09
yes, Morrisons are wonderful for a wide variety of inexpensive climbers. Ecery year i go in week after week and 'fill my boots' but BE WARNED! if you rush home and put them straight in the ground, like i did the first year round, the slugs and snails will be in seventh (slug) heaven! These plants are inexpensive for a reason...they are rally young! The best way to profit from Morrisons 'generosity' is to re-pot them in a larger, long pot and grow them on for a year in a greenhouse or porch! Next year you will have wonderful strong plants to plant out (preferably before the S&S's are out and about)If you just can't wait for them to decorate your garden or you haven't anywhere safe for them, plant them in a large pot and put outside, preferably on a paved area
19/08/2011 at 18:51
I've just dug up my 'Arabella' because after 6 years it is swamping everything!
28/11/2011 at 18:36
I was very interested to read about this clematis.Would it be classed as a clematis to climb through perennials.It sounds a lovely colour and habit. Will look out for it.
09/11/2012 at 19:19

Marina, I doubt very much that your 5 clematis have been lost due to ' wilt '

Clematis wilt is not a killer, your plants would grow again, I suspect you have planted them incorrectly or killed them with over or under-watering.

Arabella is an herbaceous variety, needs some support, willow obelisks are ideal, looks super in a mixed herbaceous border, flowers all summer, chop back in February.

09/11/2012 at 22:46

I have got 2 Arabella clematis, One I have had in a large pot for about 8 years, and one planted directly in the soil. They both flower extremely well. The only disadvantage is that they don't cling and you do have to keep tying them onto some sort of support. I prune them hard back in Feb, and feed them with sulphate of potash at the same time. They flower profusely, giving a good show over a long period, well worth growing.

email image
14 messages