Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Clover in lawns

Many, many years ago, before everyone had to have yards of perfect grass, many yards were full of clover. Clover is excellent for the soil and provides lots of nitrogen. And personally, I think many of the so-called 'weeds' actually hold up better under disease and drought conditions than the grass. Also, 'weeds' like clover hold up better than grass to heavy use by children and foot travel. I have a lot of flowers, so the bees are usually in that instead of the lawn. Grass is overrated. We need to be cautious around bees, but bees (especially bumblebees) are one of the indicators of a healthy yard environment.

• I plant it. It's fabulous and it's low maintenance. It attracts bees which is a good thing. It has long roots to discourage weeds and doesn't need a lot of water when it gets hot and dry. Best of all you can have a great time finding 4 leaf clovers. Grass is definately over rated. A weed is only a weed if you don't like it.
  • PS: I can't imagine wanting to put a weed killer on my lawn to kill clover even if using vinegar. How gross!!
  • I have just purchased a pack of red clover seeds myself for my lawn and cannot wait to see the results of the benefits it will add to the soil.
  • I agree about grass being overrated. I only have so much in our garden cos the Bairn is only 5, and it's a good surface for her to play on. As she grows and needs the back garden less I'll claim more of it for planting. We have patches of clover in our bit of grass (refuse to use the word 'lawn') and can't say I've seen many bees, if any, on them. The Bairn was stung on the leg the other week, but she was playing on the patio at the time!

I think it improves the look overall of the grass - anything that detracts from the boredom is a good thing!
  • I had lots of clover to in my grass, but it was so lovely to see the bee,s flying around because of the many bee,s that have died this year and also lots of baby frogs so good to see my grandaughter thought it was her own little park.
  • i've noticed and only recently realised that the bees love the clover all over the grass-i've been buying flowers and plants that will attract the bees--Alas, right under my nose, by not cutting the lawn, its bee haven--Brilliant!
  • I so agree about the clover!! Having a football mad son, I had long since decided that the lawn would be a 'no go' area until he was a little older. However, the number of bees on the clover has meant that even he is watching his step....result, a better lawn than I have ever had!!
  • Anybody got the answer to how to slow hedge growth?
    Since the EU banned firstly Cutlass and then Stop-Gro I find I'm spending half my life trimming my small hedge.
    Due to my weakening health if I can't find an answer I will have to join the majority of my neighbours and cut my hedge down, something I would hate to do.
  • I actively encourage the clover in my lawn. The whole garden is grown with wildlife in mind and when the grandchildren come over, love to see the bees and other insects doing their thing. They have never been stung and are always frog watching around the pond. They pick cherries off the tree, raspberries and strawberries and eat peas straight out of the pod.
  • Good for Lainey - I call mine grass rather than lawn, too. I first noticed masses of white clover in the grass last year when I came back from a week away, and there's even more this year. Like the bees, I love it!