Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Clover

I prefer to encourage clover in my lawn, the bees love it. So if any of you out there in BBC land want to do an article on how best to do this I'd be more than grateful. I'm trying to get maximum clover cover, purple if possible. Sounds crazy I know, but I have four lilacs, so the lawn is never going to be pristine.

• Please encourage people to grow clover for the bees. It is an outrage that a website like this is telling people to put weedkiller on plants like these. Clover is essential for the garden. It is useful food for pollinators and a nitrogen fixing plant. The leaves, stems, flowers, roots and seeds can all be eaten raw.
  • Mmm. More bad advice. The info here should be rewritten to take into account that clover is incredibly important for bees. Some kind of disclaimer at least.

I've bought clover as wildflowers from garden centers and inserted them into my lawn. The bees go crazy for the lovely purple or white flowers.
  • I noticed a small patch of clover in my lawn last year but did little about it except apply lawn fertilizer with weedkiller in it. The patch is still there this year but now is beginning to spread. Should I use verdone weedkiller on it as the instructions say that it will not affect the surrounding turf? I have tried to pull some roots out by hand but this is causing brown patghes to appear.
  • Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

Any lawn weedkiller will not affect the surrounding turf, but you need to read the bottle carefully to make sure that it will treat your particular weed. You will need to treat it more than once for some weeds.

• Thank you. I am no longer 25035431917PeeT. I have never had to do this before and I just need confidence in using the product. Thanks once again. image

• I am looking for a medium sized evergreen flowering shrub to replace my Choisya which I have had to remove. The site is facing east so does have a problem with early morning frost particularly in the springtime.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    Musical Cricketer wrote (see)

I am looking for a medium sized evergreen flowering shrub to replace my Choisya which I have had to remove. The site is facing east so does have a problem with early morning frost particularly in the springtime.

You will be better off starting a new thread- your question will get lost on this one about clover.

• Thank you sotongeoff. I will do that. New to this.

• I have recently used Verdone Extra on my patch of clover in the front lawn. How long does it take to work? Does anybody know? The instructions say use only once a year but I don't feel that I have used enough spray. The clover is still there after 4 days. Would I be able to use the spray again soon and use more?

• Bea18Bea18 Posts: 10
    I'm actually planting some in my lawn. I'm also cultivating an area for wild flowers etc. I might even turn the lawn over to meadow. Why on earth kill a plant that bees love and is attractive? What has grass got that it hasn't?

I've visited Jodrell Bank and they had a patch of clover alive with an incredible number of bees. It was stunning, and I would love to replicate that.