Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Coal tits

I must keep an eye out for them, Richard, as they favour next door's garden. They should be arriving in Bristol about now. It is usually the bluetits that I spot first, as you say - not so good at camouflage.

• Coal Tits are all over Belfast it seems. I moved into this house September 2009 and the Coal Tit was actually the first bird to visit the bird table. Plenty have been around since and what a great bird to watch, quite the acrobat, as you say.
  • we have plenty of blue-tits,coal-tits and great-tits in our garden,over the harsh winter last year,i counted over 12 coming out of a bird-box on our house,it was so sweet,as i pulled up in my car i noticed them and just sat in my car counting and watching them...
    i also have a little wren [think thats what it is],and he or she has taken up residents in a bug box on our wall,theres a tiny tiny gap about inch or so and ive seen it go back and fourth in it.
  • Have just found this page, and am thrilled to read the comments on the lovely article. I love to watch the birds taking turns in the bird bath. Great tit, then Wren, and Robin after Blackbird.
  • I haven't seen any coal tits but I do have lots of blue tits and sparrows and a lovely robin who is getting very brave at getting closer and closer to me when I am in the garden. I just love the birds and stand for ages watching them from my kitchen window.
  • Yes as above I have the pleasure of blue tits, great tits and coal tits but also long tailed tits so a very nice colletion of Tits. The birds this year have been slow to come back to the garden but I am now just starting to see a few more on the feeders. My flock of 30+ Sparrows are about again but just 'fleeting' visits it seems as with a few Gold Finches.

Remember to keep your feeders filled up but in this time when the birds aren't eating quite so much from our feeders please remember to change any seed which has been hanging around untouched and to periodically clean your feeders to prevent spread of disease which the birds can be susceptible to at this time. Also if feeding the birds ensure you have a supply of fresh clean water available for them also.

Richard you also mentioned Red Admirals, I can report we still have the odd one fluttering around down here in Somerset as well as the odd bee!!...

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/

Higgy
  • We haven't had to good luck to see any Coal Tits but we do have a 'flock' of about 15 Long Tail Tits come have a feed and go again. The pleasure you get from watching the antics of the birds be they what they may you can't put a price on it.
  • Thank you for all your interesting information. I still have so many birds in my garden such as Tits all types I even had several Long Tailed Tits the other day. Ofcourse I give them good seed and fat with meal-worms so they are happy. Robins Blackbirds Doves are all around most days. I only wish bird food was not quite so expensive.
  • Just looked out of my window and although grey and murkey out there, there are loads of birds of all sorts, but where is my thrush that comes each year to guard my holly tree, there are two big wood pidgeons guarging on the berries and they are dissapearing so fast if the thrush doesn't hurry up she won't get a look in.
  • I bought a bird feeder when I was in England.......but no bird seeds.
    Other than suet fat balls (which we don't have here...) What can I put in that doesn't spill out?
  • I have coal,great and blue tits in the garden. The blue tits will stay on the feeders but the coal and great tits take a seed and fly to cover with it.
    Regarding the concreting over of your neighbour's front garden, I thought that was illegal now because of flooding?