Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Cooking green tomatoes

I have used my green ones in salads. Still have a good few in the green house .

• I have used my green ones in salads. Still have a good few in the green house .
  • ? Anyone for "Green Tomato Wine" (after C Shave, from Amateur Winemaker - 130 New Winemaking Recipies 13th edition 1972, edited by CJJ Berry)

4lb green tomatoes, 1 quart balm leaves, including stalks, 1lb raisins, sultanas or currants (can be mixed), 1lb maize, barley or wheat, 2 lemons or oranges (or 1/2 oz citric acid in lieu), 3lb sugar, 1 gallon water, 1/2 pint cold tea (no milk!) Activated yeast & nutrient.

Soak the grains overnight. Scald the dried fruit and pass the grains, leaves & stalks, together with the tomatoes, dried fruit, fruit rinds (no white pith) through a mincer or liquidiser). Place the minced ingredients in the fermenting vessel & add the sugar. When cool, add the cold tea, fruit juices and citric acid, activated yeast and nutrient. Ferment for seven days - cover with muslin cloth or similar to exclude fruit flies etc, then strain into glass demijohn(s). Fit airlock, ferment and rack in the usual way. Put in steriised bottles & cork when completely fermented [2-4 months likely].

Simples, eh??

• I had them chopped and in sugar for a night and then cooking to make green tomatoe confiture. It took a long time to thicken and jsut at the last moment........it burned

After that I was going to make green tomatoe chutney, but the tomatoes started rotting before I was ready to start cooking. Due to the rain this summer?!?!?!?!?!
  • We've not had a lot of rain - the water butts have been empty for ages, but did you plants contract any blight or fungal infections?  Blight affected tomatoes will rot quite quickly.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• In South Africa, where I come from, my Mother used to cook green beans with onion and a green tomato.We can buy green tomatoes in our shops there.
  • philip4philip4 Posts: 42

my wife makes a great piccalilli with green tomatoes along with cauli,cucumber,apples,onions,marrow,just some of the ingredients.

• LeornaLeorna Posts: 9
    We have taken all our green tomatoes off the vine in our rather cramped, small, plastic greenhouse, in order to allow others to fruit. This, following recent Gardeners World advice from Monty Don, BBC 2, Friday evenings (there is a link up between this website and that programme!), that if green tomatoes are left to ripen around this time of year on the vine, then no other tomato will be able to grow in its place. We have ripened virtually all our (green) tomatoes (easily over 100 so far)in a shallow oven-dish on our windowsill (south-facing, but in a dip). Perhaps they would have tasted better if we had allowed them to ripen on the vine, but they tasted delicious ripened like this, and maybe if we hadn't done this, we wouldn't have had so many? We grew two varieties - I can't remember them off-hand, but one is slightly larger than a cherry tomato and the other, a plum.
  • granmagranma Posts: 1,933

I have a lot of Green zebra heirloom , while we had the sun we were getting them  a mix of turning yellow and with lots of green. We picked them when they were getting soft.a sign I believe shows   they are ready.they had a beautiful taste.and some got slight blight. Which I disregard ed.        But would I have been ok to cut off the blight and eat the rest .(       these were a mixture of sizes and from light green to others been dark gren    ).

I have picked them all as frost got some .are these  really ok to eat green  as in salads?

• For a sweet treat with green tomatoes from the garden I love to make Green Tomato Cake. It's very like Carrot Cake and decorated with the same cream cheese icing. It's really delicious and perfect to share with friends for afternoon tea. Save some green toms in the freezer and bake one for Christmas too :) x
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,066

I like the sound of a green tomato cake but for me I'd have to save some for fried green tomates as served at the Whistle Stop Café.

I didn't get any tomatoes this year.  All the plants were clobbered by a freak hail storm in late May so too late to buy or sow replacements.   Three chilli plants survived though so all is not lost.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato