London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
21/09/2009 at 17:02
This isn't about Cosmos, but reminded me of the first plants I tried to grow from seed, aged about 5 or 6 I guess. Lavatera (great success), cornflowers (brilliant success) and aquilegia (total fail), and I can still remember the disappointment of that now!
22/09/2009 at 07:55
I have grown cosmos for about the last three years and they have always made a great display. I've grown both the tall & dwarf varieties and think they're a great annual flower. This years display hasn't done so well though!.
22/09/2009 at 08:32
Cosmos. One of my favourites. Last for ages, and are much appreciated by the bees!
23/09/2009 at 11:14
sorry this has nothing to do with cosmos, but i havent seen much of this mentioned in any of the blogs, i have been plagued and most of us have on our allotment site with catepillars, this year, i even reluctantly sprayed but to no avail they are still eating away.. i think for next year i will use nemotodes can anyone recommend them ?
24/09/2009 at 13:04
I love Cosmos.. it's always a bit disappointing until mid-August, but then it starts flowering its socks off. My favourite is Candy Stripe, but I may have to try some of t'others you've recommended.
24/09/2009 at 13:50
First year of growing cosmos and what a joy! I needed a cheap solution to cover 30ft area of fencing and for £5.00 found my solution. The only downside is keeping on top of the dead heading, but after a while you just need to chill out and enjoy a few dying heads!
24/09/2009 at 18:46
I can think of no better value for money than cosmos,I agree though that the deadheading is a bind.
24/09/2009 at 21:14
I've just popped in to see the new Gardeners' World garden at Greenacre today, and the bed of cosmos that Toby sowed directly outside earlier in the year (probably April) was looking stunning. If ever a sight was needed to convince me of the value and performance of direct sown cosmos then the TV garden at Greenacre certainly achieved this. I hope it persuades others to try growing them too.
25/09/2009 at 07:35
I grew cosmos for the first time this year and although they gave a stunning display of colour they didnt last very long even though i took time to dead head them, shame
25/09/2009 at 09:59
We sowed Cosmos last year for the first time and were surprised when the cosmos grew to nearly 7feet high! We made sure we had dwarf ones this year!
25/09/2009 at 16:46
heard on the radio about pruning pears as growers do. could someone explain exactly what to do
25/09/2009 at 19:54
My first few months with a greenhouse has been quite eventful,lettuce tomatoes, and lots of annual seeds,which have given a lovely show in the garden, but I am not sure what to do for the coming months.I know I need to take down the screening and put up some bubble wrap but any ideas for what to sow through the coming months would be much appreciated.
27/09/2009 at 05:31
One of my favourites, shame i didn't have much luck this year. The slugs enjoyed them tho, next year they will be staying in their pots a bit longer so they can toughen up a bit and fend of those slugs. How did yours survive being sown directly?
28/09/2009 at 14:14
Can anyone tell me why some of my Cosmos have grown really tall and bushy but have no flowers on at all, while others are looking beautiful?
28/09/2009 at 20:17
Renovated flower bed this year, put in 6 Cosmos to fill in gap they were fab no dead heading at all still flowering like mad, all this in Scotland. Due some frost this week will be sorry to see them go but looking forward to trying different varieties next year, thanks for advice on types to try.
29/09/2009 at 10:53
I have collected lot of knowledge of Cosmos Flower on internet. I found, Genus Cosmos has about 20 species of annual and perennial plants in the Asteraceae family, the family of sunflowers, Daisies and Asters. I like Chocolate cosmos or Cosmos atrosanguinea most, fills the air with its sweet scent of vanilla tinged chocolate. jeu concours
29/09/2009 at 15:35
hi just read blog on cosmos i planted chocolate cosmia 3 summers ago i was told it was a once off plant when it finished flowering i covered it with a klosh dident cut it back just left it for the winter the following 2 summers it flowered again another i cut back last autumn it has flowared this summer
29/09/2009 at 21:22
My cosmos have also been amazing.Everyone marvels at them.Idont have much time so I send for garden ready plants by mail order.I then grow them on to strengthen them and so prevent them from slug attack.Idread the frost destroying them in one fell swoop.
29/09/2009 at 22:31
I grow choco scented cosmos plants, not the tarty bedding ones. I start with three plants from www.gardeningexpress.co.uk, and they get bigger every year, and the fragrance is devine. delicious chocolate smelling flowers, I think I'm in heaven!
02/10/2009 at 08:08
As a lover of Cosmos, this year I grew Double Click Rose Bonbon and although they were lovely I was disappointed that many of the blooms were not double. Any suggestions as to why? I still have one tub flowering its sox off but all singles!
1 to 20 of 28 messages