London (change)
Thu 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
13 messages
21/09/2008 at 15:18
I think mt fellow allotmenters would say the same about my plot. It is untidy, having inherited it from a retired gentleman who spent all his hrs out there it has come to me and I often wonder if I really am up to it. However, when I harvest I know I am as good as the rest and I have harvested loads this year!
23/09/2008 at 15:38
could be T&M Gartenperle
23/09/2008 at 16:46
I so wish everyone else wasn't so perfect! I have just taken on a new half (only half)allotment after having three pre-children and I just cannot get on with it. Tried taking the children (now four and eight) up there in the summer (such as it was),they just argued and demanded the toilet, iccreams, picnics etc. or moaned that their Nintendo DS had run down. Result, every last tomato got blight, runner beans ran to seed, courgettes rubbish, sweetcorn similar.

I was determined that this September now that my youngest is in school all would be organised and a model of weed free prolific abundance. What happens.....they both get tummy bugs and are off school....followed by my husband and me. Suspect could take a little longer!

23/09/2008 at 21:25
I know the feeling! When I took on my plot, I told myself it was for the fresh air and exercise, and any crops would be a bonus. Still enjoying it greatly but, as they say, there's alluz summat!
24/09/2008 at 15:40
I have two rhubarb plants in my allotment and they are massive so I'm thinking that I should split them into four plants. When is the best time to do this? Do I leave all the sticks of fruit on? Is there any preparation for winter?
24/09/2008 at 20:18
When i go to my allotment there's no one there at all. if someone comes its about two o'clock in the afternoon. i have the whole allotment for my self i am like billy no mates most of the week. but the allotment. that's my one, is looking good. the rest of them need a lot of work on them. well thats gardening for you isn't it or is it.
30/09/2008 at 09:04
I have the same problems with couch grass also bindweed. One part of my allotment which I cleared of stinging nettles 2 years ago has been taken over by the rotten stuff!!! So it is going to be the black plastic sheets again this winter, to try to reclaim the land. Has anyone got a better solution? I would be glad to hear any suggestions!! Eve.
30/09/2008 at 09:05
I have the same problems with couch grass also bindweed . One part of my allotment which I cleared of stinging nettles 2 years ago has been taken over by the rotten stuff!!! So it is going to be the black plastic sheets again this winter , to try to reclaim the land. Has anyone got a better solution ? I would be glad to hear any suggestions !! Eve .
08/10/2008 at 21:16
When clearing huge quantities of couch grass from my plot, I always feel like going home for a large plate of spaghetti. Does anyone else have this problem?
22/10/2008 at 21:24
when i done my allotment i dug it over by treble diging. what i mean is i dug atrench three spads deep thenwhat was on top i put on the bottom upside down. i took all the roots inbetween out. and got rid of them all. it took me along time but it was worth it. it as now been eight months now . i do get sume weeds but not meny. it is harder diging it . but in the long run i get no couch grass .i was told to do it by a frend. i am not saying it will work but give it a go. you never no? good luke joe.
25/10/2008 at 16:10
To Matthew. You can lift and divid your rhubarb now. Remove the stems and this will allow the frost to get to the crown this will do no harm to the plant infact it will do it good. Rhubarb likes a good manure, taking care yhat its not contaminated with weed killer.
02/05/2010 at 10:58
Also what?
28/11/2011 at 18:37
In a gardeners world earlier this year was a free packet of tomato seeds. Out of only 5 plants I had an enormous crop of really sweet cherry type tomatoes. We are still eating them now. Very much appreciated, as my outdoor plants were ruined by blight. Unfortunately I cant remember the variety they were, I would definitely want to try them again. Any ideas??
email image
13 messages