London (change)
Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
8 messages
27/11/2009 at 10:10
I've had a Weeping Japanese Crab Apple for so long it cheered up; the branches grow sideways instead of down giving it a lovely shape. Every year marauding squirrels strip off bunches of red apple supporting twigs, split open the small apples and eat the pips, discarding everything else. Few apples left now. Grrrr.
23/04/2010 at 07:26
I would like to add to the five Malus listed. We bought one about 4/5 years ago called Everest and it has been a wonderful investment because of it's different stages throughout the year. first it is festooned with lovely white blossom, then good sized red/orange fruit covered with a bloom like a grape and finally the leaves provide a lovely display in the Autumn. On top of all that it attracts many Blackbirds which love the fruit, so all in all a tree worth having
26/04/2010 at 08:06
Brian H: A welcome addition to the list. Everest is indeed a fine tree.
25/07/2010 at 21:06
I have just planted a weeping Malus Royal Beauty I would like it to be about 1ft taller (7ft)will the tree naturally grow or would tying up or pruning the leader incoreage side shoots
26/07/2010 at 07:16
Scotchy: You are being very strict! luckily M.Royal Beauty is one of the very smallest Crabs. Yes, pruning the leader will encourage side shoots.
27/06/2011 at 12:48
I have a malus Royal beauty crab apple tree, weeping variety, but it has grown a lot of side shoots and these are overshadowing the tree, is this the normal growth of the tree or should I be pruning it? Any thoughts gratefully received.
28/11/2011 at 18:39
The crab apples at Hilliers Arboretum are a sight to see and always inspire me to want to plant one in the garden, but never knew which to plant, thanks for the shortlist!
08/06/2012 at 17:20

I bought a crab apple tree 2 years ago, and it is in a large pot. Last year it had lots of leaves but no flowers. This year it started to blossom in March, but was then hit with cold and wet in April. All the blossom and leaves have fallen off, and I think it might be dead. is there any hope for it?

email image
8 messages