London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
21 to 40 of 40 messages
28/09/2012 at 22:17

Yes they are beautiful, so beautiful I fall soft and think I will leave them just a little longer to enjoy the flowers  

Then before I know it, they have taken over and colonised the rose bed and the herb garden...........

My advise is to dig them up as soon as they arrive in spring and keep up with it if you can!  Wish I could listen to my own advise 

22/02/2013 at 20:26
no
23/02/2013 at 04:35

i have been digging it up for the last 12 months ! I swear it leaps from the lawn on a parachute during the dark hours!!

23/02/2013 at 11:34

Not only does it spread by runners, but also by seeds which stay viable in the ground for many many years and germinate every time the soil is turned, so leaving it for those fleetingly pretty yellow flowers is not a particularly good idea!  The damn stuff also keeps growing all winter and is a nightmare on my clay soil;  Clearing it from the veg plots is a constant battle.  Not a fan. 

23/02/2013 at 13:31

Clearing it from anywhere is a constnat battle here.  Ghastly stuff.

23/02/2013 at 18:04

Hi , why not use a systemic weed killer , half fill a jam jar with weed killer and washing up liquid and put leading stem of the plant into the solution and cover the jar so as none off your pets can get at it hopefully this will solve your problem ,it worked for in getting of bindweed

Derek

23/02/2013 at 19:10

Hate the stuff, I try and deal with it as soon as I see it but there is always more.

17/04/2013 at 17:06
I have been told that the plant that appears now and disappears within approximately a month to six weeks is a variety of wild buttercup. It is impossible to get rid of and creeps round other plants but then disappears with no apparent harm being done. The yellow petals are shaped differently to buttercups and it is more ground cover. The leaves are heart shaped and the roots are part dandelion type but with little seeds attached. They look a little like minature potatoes. Does this ring a bell with anyone, and what can I do to get rid of it. It isn't too unsightly but anything that is growing at this time of year can't be seen until it goes.
17/04/2013 at 18:24
Vigilance and persistence is the solution to buttercup.
Digging it thoroughly or spraying.
The worst possible place for,it is amongst hardy geranium as the leaves are similar and totally entwined. I dig up the geranium and pull apart and pot up clean pieces.
I have eradicated it from my garden this way but a friend, who is less persistent, has a real issue with it. Dig out every piece as soon as seen
17/04/2013 at 19:39

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22226.jpg?width=187&height=269&mode=max

I still hate creeping buttercup. With the warmer weather and the rain, I'm seeing loads of it emerge once again. I do try digging it out but it has really tough root system so I do resort to painting weedkiller on it.

If it looks like this, I would try and get rid of it as soon as possible

17/04/2013 at 19:54

Sandra, the plant you describe is Celandine.  The problem with that one are the tiny bulbous tubers which are easily spread by any kind of planting or digging near a clump.  RHS advice here:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=187

19/05/2013 at 16:14
Hello FlamingJune,

If it just looked pretty and didn't swamp all the other plants, flowers and other beautiful wild flowers it could stay. However, nothing else has a chance to grow. It can be 15" above ground strangling anything in its vincinity and have a root system just as deep as it is tall above ground. I am all for nature, I am creating a wood, a garden, a wildlife pond, a wild area, and vegetable plot but the creeping buttercup is 'spoiling everything'. Do I just give in and let it take over the whole of my garden??
30/09/2013 at 13:46

Just checked in to see the response to my predicament. Thanks to all who posted. Looks like I am not alone. I don't dislike the celendine, just the fact that it swamps other flowers that are trying to be seen, and as such is so very invasive. Thanks Bob the Gardener for the link. Good luck to all of you

21/05/2014 at 18:40
i just bcant shift them i dig out they come back stronger
21/05/2014 at 21:31
Contrary to most of what I'm reading here,I have no quarrel with Creeping Buttercup.It is in one border and attempting to colonise the lawn but I keep it mowed there.
21/05/2014 at 22:35

I have it in one of the borders that I inherited rather than prepared and planted myself. It drives me mad - I'm no fan. I have Celandine in my churchyard and I leave it too flower there as it looks lovely. But if it dares to enter my garden war is declared.   

31/07/2014 at 11:30

Lawn sand has done it for me after many failed attempts digging them up or using spot lawn weedkiller.

31/07/2014 at 11:46

I pulled a line of it out my pond the other day which I thought was quite funny.

It had stopped here and there to put roots into the mat of blanketweed as it was crossing to the other side

31/07/2014 at 14:14

I dont have many weeds in the garden and never see buttercup. I have no idea why.  I remember hearing that wild flowers prefer poorer soil.  The person that lived here originally used to grow and show chrysanthemums and apparently used to have large deliveries of horse manure each year.  I wondered if that might be the reason that very few weeds seem to invade the garden.  The one problem I do have is comfrey. Ive never grown it so either someone close by must, or else its lurking in the soil from a while ago.  It drives me mad as it pops up everywhere.

31/07/2014 at 15:50

I'll be waiting for that horrible creeping buttercup with my spade from about January next year.  Unfortunately, being a mere novice gardener, I didn't know what it was this year and having planted bluebell bulbs and hardy geraniums I didn't have a clue what was what.  I'll be a little wiser next year!  Buttercups better look out .

email image
21 to 40 of 40 messages