London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
41 to 46 of 46 messages
01/11/2014 at 08:43
I have had such a bad year with this blighter.
So i have decided to strip and empty my borders , rescuing my hellebores and other perenials , and replanting.
On the bright side of things , i have taken trips to some garden centres and got some seasonal bargains to start replanting.
Hope i have more luck next year (the biggest problem is this pest looks very much like new growth on many other emerging spring growth :)
01/11/2014 at 08:55

I  have had CB in the garden for years and yes it is spreading but a few week's after it has finished flowering you would never know it had been,

The leaves just rot back into the soil which are left bare ,whether the CB exudes a weed killer itself I do not know.

To me its a bit like a green snow, which melts but I enjoy seeing it  each spring.

I agree that you can not control it, so as has been said  earlier ,embrace it and marvel at nature.

01/11/2014 at 12:48

Hi viola man, are you sure you don't have celandine rather than creeping buttercup?  CB is perennial and definitely doesn't die-back but celandine disappears completely after flowering and the flowers do look almost identical to buttercups.

01/11/2014 at 15:46

Bob  from what you say it must be Celandine .

Has anyone else made this mistake ? It is amazing the way it comes and goes.

Sorry for error.

Thanks for this

01/11/2014 at 17:08

If it is celandine you have my sympathy.  One or two.....pretty but my borders are choked with it.  Spreads like wildfire and will overpower many smaller plants.  For me, it is a menace and I don't say that about many plants. I think I'd rather have green snow......that at least would eventually melt rather than spread interminably

01/11/2014 at 17:59

Creeping buttercup is said to poison other plants. It might look pretty along path edges but not suitable for the veg garden.  Google - allelopathic plants creeping buttercup

email image
41 to 46 of 46 messages