Start a new thread

41 to 46 of 46 replies

I have had such a bad year with this blighter.
So i have decided to strip and empty my borders , rescuing my hellebores and other perenials , and replanting.
On the bright side of things , i have taken trips to some garden centres and got some seasonal bargains to start replanting.
Hope i have more luck next year (the biggest problem is this pest looks very much like new growth on many other emerging spring growth :)

I  have had CB in the garden for years and yes it is spreading but a few week's after it has finished flowering you would never know it had been,

The leaves just rot back into the soil which are left bare ,whether the CB exudes a weed killer itself I do not know.

To me its a bit like a green snow, which melts but I enjoy seeing it  each spring.

I agree that you can not control it, so as has been said  earlier ,embrace it and marvel at nature.

BobTheGardener

Hi viola man, are you sure you don't have celandine rather than creeping buttercup?  CB is perennial and definitely doesn't die-back but celandine disappears completely after flowering and the flowers do look almost identical to buttercups.

Bob  from what you say it must be Celandine .

Has anyone else made this mistake ? It is amazing the way it comes and goes.

Sorry for error.

Thanks for this

If it is celandine you have my sympathy.  One or two.....pretty but my borders are choked with it.  Spreads like wildfire and will overpower many smaller plants.  For me, it is a menace and I don't say that about many plants. I think I'd rather have green snow......that at least would eventually melt rather than spread interminably

Advertisement

Creeping buttercup is said to poison other plants. It might look pretty along path edges but not suitable for the veg garden.  Google - allelopathic plants creeping buttercup