London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
5 messages
17/03/2012 at 12:10
We had a natural wildflower patch professional sown and had lots of these thistles. Very pretty but now had thistles growing in the middle of the lawn !!! I'm glad the above advise confirms I'm doing the right thing by both digging out and using glyphosate but digging out is telling on my back as there can be twenty little blighters a day
19/03/2013 at 15:23
Creeping thistle is my favourite, always reminds me of my mums garden..
17/08/2013 at 07:45
Ones weed is another's wildflower!
17/08/2013 at 09:46

You will never beat creeping thistle by digging out, unless you are going down very, very deep!  Every bit of root left behind will re-grow.

14/09/2014 at 16:24
The way I control creeping thistle is to fire it when in seed. Only the seeds burn and they do so in a flash. There's hardly any smoke, the thistle itself does not burn because it's wet and if done carefully, there's little likelihood of it spreading to a lower story. You need to be sensible about it and take sensible precautions. In other words don't go and fire a vast swatch beside a barn or something on a warm, breezy September's day.
This controls seed spread as no chemical will ever achieve.Done annually, and you weaken the plant. They'll disappear.
email image
5 messages