London (change)
Today 11°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 26 messages
10/01/2008 at 16:34
I have had the Snowdrop's big brother the Snowflake in flower in my Swansea garden since early December. They used to start flowering at the end of January, but for the last couple of years they have flowered early.
10/01/2008 at 19:10
Hi Pippa, in my small patch I have some snowdrops out as well as jasmine, viburnum, primroses, hellebores, cyclamen and, believe it or not, cowslips! In the Sir Harold Hillier arboretum we saw several groups of "January Gold" daffodils in flower on New Years Day.
10/01/2008 at 21:02
I too, am eagerly awaiting my first snowdrops and making a daily inspection, but was greatly surprised last weekend to find a single deep pink flower of a schizostylis in a tub!
11/01/2008 at 13:21
...and as if it knows it is now a star of the Gardeners' World Blogging world, and feels overcme by all the attention, my solitary daff is just being joined by a couple more, perhaps though they are simply being forced out of the soil by the vast quantities of RAIN going in to it!!
11/01/2008 at 13:46
Living in the South West my drifts of Snowdrops are usually very close to blooming by now. But despite getting down on my hands and knees to search I have been unable to find a single one coming through.
11/01/2008 at 17:56
I was amazed to see just how many daffodils are in full bloom here in Bracknell.
12/01/2008 at 18:55
HI I also have a daffodil that appears every year just before Christmas.Despite feeding it ,it never produces more than one flower!
12/01/2008 at 22:30
You are not alone, our snowdrops put their heads up just before Christmas and have not moved since! But on the other hand we have 2 Anemone de Canen in flower.
13/01/2008 at 21:13
I have one paper white fully out and I have seen the first snowdrop and crocus in my garden today here in Sheffield
14/01/2008 at 13:16
We are usually awash with snowdrops by now too and there's not even a leaf to show at the moment, we had a search yesterday. However, there are several clumps on a bank at the end of the village in full bloom. Sadly, the whole bank should be jaw droppingly white by now!!!
14/01/2008 at 13:25
The first of my January Gold Daffodils appeared in flower at the beginning of December. They are now all in full bloom in my south facing slopping front garden.
14/01/2008 at 18:46
We live in West Lancashire and have an oak tree that didn't produce one acorn last Autumn! The squirrels are somewhat miffed to say the least! Are we the only ones? On the other hand at the moment we do have a clematis with no leaves but two flowers about to bloom.
15/01/2008 at 20:35
I feel completely left out. I do not have any daffs or snowdrops out yet. Some daffs have started to poke their little heads through the soil, but the snowdrops are nowhere to be seen. I live in Kent, in the so called mild south. All a bit of a puzzle!
15/01/2008 at 20:54
I moved to a new house in August and the garden was bare! I am pleased to say that all my plants are doing well (survived the move) and we have our first Daffs and loads of primroses in full bloom. With my Tulips already about 3 inches high.
16/01/2008 at 14:01
I thought it unusual that Daffodil SHOOTS (not flowers) had appeared on 1 January in my garden on the ISLE OF SKYE. This is much earlier than I would expect as we generally don't have a good show of daffodil flowers in this part of the world until end of March.
16/01/2008 at 14:43
not a snowdrop in sight, daffs just starting to come though. roll on the spring, i need a garden fix
17/01/2008 at 11:51
My snowdrops are now flowering thanks to the sunshine wed 16th I also have a few cyclamen showing a nice splash of colour. Am hoping the coffee grounds keep the slugs of my hellebore niger as the crown is full of buds
17/01/2008 at 22:25
My first snowdrop bloomed last week, so this week I've started my annual snowdrop census. This occurs weekly until the numbers start to drop. Anything in bud or flower counts, if it's gone over it's excluded. This week's count is 144. Last year's maximum was over 1000, so there's still quite a way to go! I'll be posting progress on my blog
27/01/2008 at 15:53
Hi, im new to gardening, i have a african daisy someone bought me about 2yrs ago and it still ahsent flowered??! never seen it flower, its about 2ft now and woint stop growing up! Apparently, if you snap a bit off and put it in the ground it will plant itsellf, does anyone know about theses plants? would love to see it flower! Kayleigh.
08/02/2008 at 14:14
My challenge is to fill up gaps amongst the bulbs in the beds. When bulbs are ready for sale(SeptOct) the existing bulbs are resting and have become hidden to view. Any suggestions please? Second thought - having just purchased and planted 200 more new snowdrops in the green, can existing bulbs of all varieties be moved and split up when they have flowered and when they are still in the green and visible?
1 to 20 of 26 messages