London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
21 to 28 of 28 messages
14/08/2010 at 08:19
My damson tree has produced 5 damsons. It is three seasons old.This year it has grown substationly and I am looking forward to a propper crop next year.I shall be 80 next year so it better had.
31/08/2010 at 21:21
We have recently moved into a house with a large damson tree in the garden it carried a small amount of fruit last year which all dropped before ripening, this year there doesn't appear to be any fruit. I'd like to revive this old tree which may have been growing here for 50 years + could you please offer some advice on pruning and feeding.
12/09/2010 at 18:01
I'm trying to find additional ways to use my damsons, my tree has gone berserk. Will be doing jam, wine, gin, pickled, chutney, bottled, frozen, cheese, throwing then at neighbours and about to try cordial, any other ideals great fully received.
20/09/2010 at 22:13
I have a plum and damson tree. Is it too late to prune them this year-if so, when should I prune them?
12/10/2010 at 21:50
My damson tree is five years old and this year is laden with damsons - busy making crumbles, pies and jam. Hs any one a good recipe for damson gin?
19/10/2010 at 20:36
Igrew some damson trees from stones or pips 2 years ago they have grown very tall and wide should i prune them and when
28/11/2011 at 18:39
My very ancient damson tree fruits in the second half of August. We had a bumper year this year. I've made loads of jam for our village fete on Saturday, some damson gin, damson cheese (wonderful with cold meat and cheese as well as with hot meat dishes (we eat it in place of cranberry jelly at Christmas). I've also made damson cordial this year - stew the damsons, strain the juice through a jelly bag, then boil for two minutes with a pound of sugar for every pint of juice) Very refreshing - I have put it in old herb jars and frozen it. I also make damson cake from fresh or frozen damsons - just add to a fruit cake mix in place of raisins or other dried fruit. I stone the damsons using a cherry stoner - much quicker than trying to skim off stones. I bought one in France made by Westmark, but any sort of olive/cherry stoner will do.
23/09/2013 at 12:36

I have been given 14 Damson pips by my niece who is 7.  I promised her I would plant them.  She washed them and gave them to me in tissue.  How do I proceed?  Do I dry them first before planting?  Type of soil? Small pot to start them off?  How deep should they be planted?  Thanks 

email image
21 to 28 of 28 messages