Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Dealing with bindweed

Hi, I've found that if I get small pop bottles and fill them up with a strong weedkiller, bury them in the soil near where the tendrils are coming up, I can put the tendrils in the bottles and they take on the weedkiller over a much longer time than just dabbing or spraying a weedkiller on them.

This stops insects, animals and children from getting to the weedkiller.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

As long as  children don't find the pop bottles filled with poison !!!  Sounds really dangerous to me!!! image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• granmagranma Posts: 1,933

It should be alright shouldn't it ,if you bury them up to there necks and also if there are  no  children?

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

It sounds wonderful; but then I don't have munchkins in my gardenimage

• vicwoodvicwood Posts: 1

I have found that a coiled tendril in a plastic bag with a spray of weed killer can be quite effective.

• Lily 3Lily 3 Posts: 49
    Not sure about that method, sounds a little over the top and also potentially dangerous for cats and dogs. A garden I moved to years ago was very overgrown and full of bind weed. I dug it all out, well virtually. Just pulling up new shoots as they came up and this effectively got rid of it. Although while digging it out my then puppy border terrier - Lily, decided the roots were god for chewing. I though she had a hide chew stick at first. Then removed her from the garden when I realised she was chewing the roots of the weeds I was digging out. Too late though, an hour or so later she started behaving very strangely. Swaying about and falling over. I rushed her to the vet. I explained what had happened and they concluded she was hallucinating ! Bind weed roots can have a similar effect to magic mushrooms. They kept her in over night and she was fine the next day. A cautionary tail !
  • oldchippyoldchippy Posts: 244
    I have bind weed growing in my shrubs it's difficult to dig out,my next door neighbour had a Rhus Sumach growing in there garden and took it out but left the roots behind now it keep's appearing in my garden.
  • PassionatePassionate Posts: 225

I heard a good tip from a gardeners world chap, and it really works, he said do not pull the vine weed out of the ground as this activates the weed and it starts to multiply.

Unwind it  from the plant as much as possible, stick a garden cane into the ground at the side of the weed or as near as possible.

Wrap the vine weed around the cane, then put weed killer on as many leaves as you can (doesn't have to be all of them) over a short time the weed killer will be taken into the roots and the weed will die. 

• My entire 4m x 10m garden is full of it.  It especially comes underground from the rented house gardens either side too.  It is even growing under the house and coming out of the air bricks.  Digging it all out was a pointless exercise as it was back within weeks and weedkiller does almost nothing and I have tried several types despite normally avoiding all nasty chemicals in my garden.  I am at my wits end with it.  Actually want to move house just to get away from it.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276
    I find that bindweed is relentless in my garden. You pull up one length of it only to see two more take its place. The only good thing you can say about it is the white flowers which bees like.

Lily 3 - pleased to hear you have a Border. We have one too,his name is Robbie and he's two. Always following me in the garden,shoving his nose into the soil if I'm digging. Him and his side-kick Lexie the Black Lab image