Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Dealing with moss

JimbolenaJimbolena Posts: 114
Hi,

Thanks for the good advice and I've followed most of the steps to a certain point...I was wondering when to scarify the lawn after applying the lawn care. I've had it on the lawn for a few days now?

The lawn at the front of the house gets very little sun until around this time of year till autumn so is damp and like you say, it's been a wet winter. I have scarified it in the past and drained it with a deep fork, this helped loads but this year a neighbour recommended feed and weed, lawn care.

I'm guessing when it goes black then the lawn care has done it's stuff but just not sure.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Yep, moss goes black after treating, now you can scrape it out. Hard work but worth it.

• EsspeeEsspee Posts: 274

Raking out moss by hand is extremely tedious, better to hire or borrow a scarifier.   Make sure you have loads of bin bags as you shouldn't put treated moss on the compost heap.

• JimbolenaJimbolena Posts: 114

Thanks for the advice and confirming my thoughts..image

• Yes, I agree. Treat the lawn with moss killer and it should quickly kill it (and go black) in a matter of days. You can then rake/scarify to remove.

And if you can see lots of gaps and soil I'd recommend over-seeding with grass seed mixed with compost. April is usually a good month to do this, as warmer conditions and April showers encourage seeds to germinate and grow.
  • JimbolenaJimbolena Posts: 114

Great I'll do that, got the seed sat there ready, will get the rake out tomorrow.. if not too wet, it rained a bit today so we'll see.........thanks for your help.

• oldchippyoldchippy Posts: 244

Now all the dogs fur has been taken for nest material the blue tits are taking the moss from the grass,saves me a job of picking it up after raking.

Oldchippy.

• Those are very well trained birds, oldchippy. Please send them my way!

• Hi

Can i put the blackened moss on my compost heap?
  • batladybatlady Posts: 6
    I have a clay soil and have raked the moss, but I cannot now use chemicals as I have a very small tortoise and this would be harmful. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated
  • I too have very mossy lawn. My problem is my soil is clay so after it rains my lawn is wet for days.

I would like to know in which order i need to tread my lawn

Scarify

Moss Treatment

Aerator/Horticultural Sand

Thanks in advance