London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 25 messages
08/07/2013 at 15:01
Adam there is no easy solution to Pigeons,but an air rifle sends them packing,but make sure you only fire at the pigeon's,even air rifle pellets bounce off there feathers.we have to blame the Romans for them being here. Oldchippy.
08/07/2013 at 19:59

We used to have several regular pigeon visitors to this garden - however, since a pair of Peregrine's hatched four eggs earlier this year, several of the woodpigeons have been 'taken by surprise' in a cloud of feathers and down.  There only appears to be one pair visiting us now, which is fine   They've spent the last few days in the top of the ashtrees pecking away at leaves. 

08/07/2013 at 20:15

I have stopped the pigeons eating the brassicas by putting bamboo canes every 30 cm around them, then going back and forth over the plants with very shiny silver gift tape from the pound shop.

08/07/2013 at 20:50
Thanks artjak. A reflective barrier is worth considering round crops, but won't look that sightly.
I did read that it's illegal to shoot pigeons unless you have the correct authority. Now I hear from oldchippy that their feathers are like body armour it doesn't sound as if shooting is even an option!
And Dovefromabove, please send your Peregrine's down my way ... there's plenty of food for them here!
08/07/2013 at 21:08

Decoy birds of prey can be placed on high points and are not expensive - Google pigeon scarer.  However, this is what I did which prevents caterpillar damage, too:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/26978.jpg?width=288&height=350&mode=max

4mm hole size netting provides the best protection.

Jak
09/07/2013 at 18:46

We have tried all sorts even spent £50 on supposed miracle deterrant which was blown away on the 1st day. vaseline on pergola top, red strips around balcony rails,shiny discs. black metal cats and still get the mess

If I drank alcohol I wld suggest a large one just so that you relax and let them get on with it. Its easy to keep them off plants but not to stop the mess on the balcony etc.

Hey ho are you all enjoying this weather,  too hot for me but hope it lasts for childrens hols.

11/07/2013 at 23:14
Bought a snake,an expensive snake.... Rubbish. Save your money.
The pigeons just wait impatiently for me to get out of their garden. Netting is the only answer and it has to be done properly. If it is too close to the plants they will stand on it to weight it down and gobble away.
12/07/2013 at 09:40

I've given up on deterants as none of them work - or at least not permanently.  Just as I finally prevented the foxes that live at the bottom of the garden from digging plants up looking for worms by simply feeding them cat food every night, I now do the same with the pigeons.  I buy huge sacks of birdfood from Costco -  a quarter of the price I'd pay anywhere else - and I put a huge scoop in a ground feeder tray next to my raised beds every morning.  Since doing so, I've found all of my beans and berries untouched because the birds are too lazy to work for food when it's literally being handed to them on a plate. My friends thought that feeding them would encourage even more birds to the garden but it turns out the pigeons are very territorial and drive off would-be interlopers themselves so the actual number of birds visiting the garden remains pretty constant.

Must admit that I now have some very plump looking wood pigeons and I  find myself frequently considering how nicely they would fill a big pigeon pie... 

13/07/2013 at 21:24

I haven't shot pigeon's my self, I was working on an old building that been empty for some year's with hole's that they could get in,The pest control company shot as many as possable in side the roof space with .22 rifles ,they also used long poles with a noose  on the end, It is possable to clear them with a bird scarer  ,maybe 'Which' can come up with A Best Buy.

Jak
14/07/2013 at 09:22

I think one day this country will be over run with animals of all sorts as so many people think more of animals than the rest of the human race.There comes a time when culls are neccessary but then there is an uproar and the powers that be back down.  Every thing in moderation but when farmers livelyhood is threatened by bovine then the cause should be erradicated. Now we are having wild animals introduced here and watch out for troubles with that in years to come.

Gosh thats a good sunny sunday morning rant I'm out to do some watering before I get pelted.

14/07/2013 at 10:05
My allotment neighbour waters the leaves of his brassicas with extract of rhubarb leaves - fill an old dustbin with rhubarb leaves, top up with water and leave for a few weeks. Smells as bad as you would imagine, keep the lid on! Water over the plants generously. I must say his brassicas look healthy and completely un-pecked. Also deters catapillars I am told. I haven't tried it because I know rhubarb leaves are poisonous which makes me nervous about applying it to an edible crop.
15/07/2013 at 11:52

That's a tip I would certainly try at my allotment Rustyb. Perhaps not this year, I'll see what stalks I have left but for sure next year. Thanks for posting it.

15/07/2013 at 16:57

i thought feeding the pigeons would encourage more to come, but i seeem to have just the same three everyday (considering i'm in the inner city, i don't think this is two bad.) i've also got a resident magpie pair, so between them they seem to keep all the other big birds away but still leave room and food for the little ones.

mine seem to prefer bits of kibble dog food to corn, and like mccavity says, i think they're too lazy to bother looking for anything else one they're full up on easy pickings.

16/07/2013 at 21:06
My commiserations Adam. Not only did incontinent pigeons build their useless nest ( eggs invariably rolled off) above our patio, they'd eat the emerging broccoli, they would also flutter up in front of me causing palpitations. Their 'love life' is also a bit much!

A lonely, and rather plaintive, male owl has set up home nearby and the pigeons have scrammed. I suggest an owl recording or an ornamental one, occasionally moved hither and thither perhaps?
18/07/2013 at 14:13

Thanks Marinelilium.  Perhaps that's where I went wrong – is a bird of prey like the falcon doesn't keep them away then I should try and owl. Plastic or real? Or just play them recordings of owls? I need to do something .....

18/07/2013 at 15:33

My neighbour has loft's for his racing pigeons. the used to sit on my garage roof and poop all over. I've put a flag pole up with a 7ft union jack flapping about. They don't sit there now. Don't see many wild one's they might stay away because of the racing one's "cooing" all the time.

18/07/2013 at 17:29

i have seen those flying birds or prey.. look like kites... attache dto house few streets away.. it is very high and and moves like a bird up and down on the breeze.. thought good idea keep pigeons and rooks away.. so went knocked on there door sunday as asked.

they siad yeah keeps them away alright.. i asked about the smaller birds i feed.. they sid it will keep all birds away... so very good does its job.

so i wont be having myself one as i feed the birds and dont want rid of them.. so will have to put up with them..

18/07/2013 at 17:33

on another note thou.. we got the spikes you can stick or nail on.. for our ariel and chimmney.. they used to sit on there .. so got the smaller plastic spikes and glued them on and no bother now.. got the really long ones to stop the seagulls nesting as very noisy and they have worked.

for our kids climbing frame.. as they loved that and i got fed up with cleaning the poo off.. we brought packsof poundland meat scewers and piece of plastic hollow tubing about 6cm across drilled holes in it and bent the scewers and glued them after pushing through.. then attached to the poles at top of frame with wire ties.. had no problem since..

18/07/2013 at 21:53

l personally welcome all birds in my garden, the pigeons go onto the tray feeder and take seed, the small birds from the feeders, none cause any problems.
Never really got into the culture of labelling animals and birds good and bad guys, for many people its magpie,s hated and persecuted, to me English parrot. Used to be starling considered pests till they went into decline, been osprey, otters, even falcon and eagles, still poisoned, or shot, as in fact some gardeners do to cats, everyone has their own preferences to which animal bird is deemed a pest, bad guy, to be killed. We now have people and a culture en masse who cant tolerate insects, with masses on insecticide in shops cheaply bought to kill anything that moves, even in gardens. Will we ever outgrow killing things, when they dont harm or threaten us.

18/07/2013 at 22:17

I think one day this country will be over run with animals of all sorts as so many people think more of animals than the rest of the human race.There comes a time when culls are neccessary but then there is an uproar and the powers that be back down.  Every thing in moderation but when farmers livelyhood is threatened by bovine then the cause should be erradicated. Now we are having wild animals introduced here and watch out for troubles with that in years to come.   Re Jak,

Vast majority of animals and birds are in decline, even the once common garden, species, re starlings, sparrows, hedgehogs, insects, many now endangered, some extinct, at present a big decline in bee,s, much to do with development and insecticide,s, used by people who deem them a pest, whilst people who care about animal near always care about humans also, but a bit of a cliche thrown out often,  alternately many who dont care about animals and abuse them often do humans also, some practise on animals when young.  Culling of animals is happening all the time, from pigeions to deer, all manner of species, and there is little retracting by goverment or farmers, but many oppose badger culling thinking it wont be affective in decreasing tb, as agreed by scientists, in that badgers travel, also much disease of livestock, and humans, is down to bad human and farmer practises in feed and housing.  There are rarely non native wild animals being released wilfully, a few escapee,s who adapt and breed, but rarely in large numbers, re wallaby, parakeet, when they do become prolific re grey squirrel, mink they are routinely culled.  The only animal that is overrunning this and other countries and causing mass problems re development and pollution are humans. `This country` wont be overun with animals.

1 to 20 of 25 messages