London (change)
Today 9°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 8°C
18 messages
23/01/2009 at 17:27
I have been trying to select which seeds that I am going to grow this year. But I dont realy know which seed comapany to buy from, to be completeley honest I dont now any at all. Please could somebody name me a couple to helpme out?
23/01/2009 at 19:02
From Determinedpeterplant I grow Alicante, Moneymaker, Gardeners Delight and Marmande I grow them in a unheated g/house and outside and the first seed will be sown late February on a suuny windowsill I split my seed order between four different companies I have never had any problems with any company so Jamie i will say you can buy from any seed company with complete confidence.
23/01/2009 at 21:10
Thankyou, I was just a bit wary as it is only one of my first years of gardening. However I have to say I've loved every bit of them.
24/01/2009 at 03:02
Have you thought about buying from a company that stock organic, untreated seeds?
24/01/2009 at 10:46
I have orderd the raspberry canes form the GW offer but its all so frozen or water logged on the plot here in the West Midlands, which is on heavy clay that i really don't know where to begin diggin a fruit bed dug for my raspberry canes i can't see how or when i can do it. Question: Can i tranpslant the fruit canes from pots later?
24/01/2009 at 20:12
Last may i got my first alloment very over grown after a lot of hard work i manage to grow leeks,runer beans,onions.every one was so help full me an hubby have just put in a pond , and planted our first fruit trees. im so excited i cant wate for spring to come. brings back lots a memorys with me an my dad on is alloment he taught me to love gardening
24/01/2009 at 20:29
re buying seeds by post. Most local garden centres offer a good selection of seeds by different producers - and you then save the postage - to spend on more seeds.
27/01/2009 at 17:42
Hi JAMIE, A Fantastic seed company isChiltern Seeds - they do a brilliant and informative catalogue. Thompson and Morgan and Sutton Seeds are also two companies who supply a good selection
27/01/2009 at 17:59
I use Thompson & Morgan, Suttons and Marshalls. I just wish you could buy reduced quantities for the smaller garden
27/01/2009 at 20:57
Thanks Vil, I have ordered a seed catalouge from Suttons, I will probably go back and order anouther from Chiltern. I am very much looking forward to growing the seeds after all the enthusisum other gardeners have been showing about it.
27/01/2009 at 21:06
I heartily recommend Cookoo Box Chilli nursey too - I have only orderred chilli seeds from they but they do so much more too. My last order was received two days after I sent it. Exemplary!
28/01/2009 at 12:59
Hi Anne, You can buy small quantities of seed from www.moreveg.co.uk starting at 50p a packet:o)
28/01/2009 at 16:13
Thanks for that link Simpson! I've only got a wee patio and a newly acquired 1mx1m raised bed so don't have a lot of space - buying seeds in much smaller quantities really makes the difference between giving different veg a go, or not bothering cos of wastage!
28/01/2009 at 16:20
Hi - have you tried planting in containers - there are so many wonderful varieties suitable for container gardening
29/01/2009 at 14:33
I get all my seeds from marshalls and this time I going to grow all my veg in containers.
02/02/2009 at 12:20
Hi, I wondered if anyone couild give me some advice on buying a polytunnel?
18/08/2009 at 13:50
last year i noticed i had six black runner bean seeds. planted them this yaer and have started collecting the seed this year.the bean is about 16 inches long and of good size .are there any black bean seed on the market as this is the first i have seen regards dave
28/11/2011 at 18:37
i am a member of northwood kirkby allotment i started last year on the of may. the girls that run it have been on it fore three years now. they have got a 30ft pollytunnel and never growen enything in it . ihave worked on mine and dug thers all over i have done cutings of every shrub they have bought i have planted all the seeds veg and plants aswell i have been on the allotment all winter by my self not one of them are gardeners they came fore the first time this year they seid they whant to lern rotation croping they cume and planted vegbut aded nothing to the soil now they tell me sume one is cuming from the bbc to see the allotment help becouse it will be left to me i love gardening but were do i stop i think this will be a good thing fore kirkbybut they are not gardeners i just dont think they are runing it wriht may be if they was another gardener?
email image
18 messages