London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
21 to 30 of 30 messages
06/05/2011 at 19:26
Please please please help! I have a 30ft Pittosporum tree in my garden with severe frost damage. It has kept all its leaves (although they are a bit tough) and the wood is still alive, but it doesn't look very well at all. Parts of the leaf canopy are virtually brown. I have fed it and watered it through the dry weather. Is there any chance it will recover? Why hasn't it dropped its leaves? I am hoping it is hanging on and will drop and refoliate later. Any hope? Many thanks.
07/05/2011 at 13:48
When is the best time to divide Red Hot Pokers? happymarion - hope the open day went ok.
08/05/2011 at 07:39
Hello, all you lovely people wondering about my "open " day. "My public" and I seemed to enjoy it equally. The weather was perfect and my plants and wildlife impressed. I cannot wait to repeat it. It was so lovely to share my beautiful space. I took lovely photos of my visitors and printed them and sent them off to the chairwoman for their next meeting. They insisted on having a collection for the Botanic Garden (I had displayed the Garden publicity material) and so I was flavour of the month the next day when i went to do my volunteer gardening there. Incidentally I had been in two minds whether to pull up the forget-me-nots,grape hyacinths, Spanish bluebells etc which were over very early in the drought, but decided to leave them and thank goodness I did. After the rain we had yesterday we had brilliant sunshine and the butterflies came out in droves to feed on the nectar on the few remaining flowers. I've never seen so many orange tips. I spent the whole day yesterday dead-heading and weeding, it was so easy. But today is planting time for veg. There is no room for me in my conservatory at the moment Because of the hundreds of plants I have grown. Sugar peas, dwarf beans and salad onions must go out and the runner beans are propping each other up. The sweetcorn is two feet high but they are in bigger pots and can wait. And of course my sweet pea freebie from our mag.(which have all grown wonderfully) and the one sunflower out of my seven free seeds which was the only one that germinated. Anybody else have this happen?
08/05/2011 at 07:49
I forgot to say,Adam, that your blog reminded me to check on my hardy geraniums and my erodiums and while I was tidying I increased my stock very easily, and then it bucketed down and I did not even have to water them in, although that is a golden rule at the Botanic Garden and i usually follow it.
09/05/2011 at 09:29
happymarion - so glad that your open day was a success. I have been inspired to go into the garden and have potted up lots of self sown lavenders and several self-rooted shrubs. I have managed to create several oesteopernums by chopping off bits from the outside of the plant and divided a tall daisy like plant. All are now waiting for the school fete!
18/06/2011 at 19:24
Thanks to everyone for all their comments. I've taken the advice on splitting day lilies but am wondering if I should cut back my hardy geraniums or just let them 'go over.' Also I have several clumps of pinks with very woody main stems. Should I dig them up and take cuttings? What's the best way to take cuttings from pinks, please? I do not have a good track record with cuttings! Well done to happymarion.
18/06/2011 at 19:46
More questions! I've collected some seed from two different kinds of fritillary. Do I plant them now or do I save them for Spring? Same question re Euphorbia seeds. I'm quite a novice as you'll gather! Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
24/07/2011 at 08:09
muckingfuddle commented on this article at 08:27 pm on 17 July 2011 I would like to know if I can take cuttings from wall flowers.Because I have just spent 2hours taking off the side shoots from some old plants that were just forming seed pods.Half I put in small pots after dipping in rooting powder ,the other lot are sitting in jam jars with water ??????????????? will any thing happen or not
22/09/2011 at 19:31
hello to all the gardeners out there,would like some advice on how to take choc cosmos cuttings.if any one has any tips it would be great.have alot of cuttings from the garden but no joy with this plant.
28/11/2011 at 18:43
My daylilies are already quite tall, so if you have lots of growth on your plants lazygardener I'm not sure you'll be able to lift and divide without really damaging them. I'd suggest waiting until NEXT February/March, and dividing and replanting if conditions are not too cold or wait (delay a little if they are, but complete the job in March before new shoots develop too much). I'd always recommend that anyone gardening on heavy/clay/wet soil should delay dividing rather than doing this too early. Conditions will be warming-up through late March and into April, encouraging new root growth and fast establishment.
email image
21 to 30 of 30 messages