London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 20°C
21 to 23 of 23 messages
28/11/2011 at 18:44
One of the biggest problems is the loss of "common" wild flowers due to harsh mowing regimes on huge tracts of amenity grass land. Acres of ultra-short coarse grass, a few ground-hugging pioneer species, but nothing else gets to flower. Much of this grass is cut every couple of weeks at a height of 15-25 mm. Green indeed, but a barren monoculture.
08/01/2012 at 16:46
I would wish and hope that the mojority of people would want to encourage wild life into there garden,you just get so much out of it and if you have children they will just love it and learn from it at the same time, you dont have to go big, ponds ect, but they are worth thinking about, just sow a few sun flower seed around, good for bees then for the birds, or perhaps a few bedding plants dotted here and there good for the insects you will usally find if they are suitable for wild life on the packet.
05/02/2012 at 17:29

Not all architects are unhelpful to wildlife. I work as an ecological surveyor and much of my work is with a company that started as an architecture business but joins this with the ecological side, advising on and undertaking surveys for protected species as well as encouraging provision for wildlife, such as incorporating barn owl boxes and bat lofts into the design.

email image
21 to 23 of 23 messages