London (change)
Today 12°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
21 to 30 of 30 messages
17/05/2010 at 20:54
i am an animal lover but i have had enough of the grey squirrels.i have asked my husband to shoot them on sight.I have had so many bird feeders destroyed and plants dug up i am at the end of my tether.it is important to kill them with one shot and not injure it.we have two foxes who visit so we give them the squirrel which is i am sure a lovely treat for them.ps it is legal.
19/05/2010 at 18:29
hi there ,this has nothing to do with frogs...i have a birdhouse on the outside wall and a family of bees have taken up living in there,,, is it ok to leave them there or should i ring the council to remove them? they are a bit small but there look just like normal bees..what are they? how long will they bee there for? will it get more active as summer goes on? im allergic to bee stings hence why im worried... will they come back next year? when will it be safe to clean box out so birds can nest next year???? they are not wasps maybe honey bees as very little but sweet looking...
20/05/2010 at 10:07
Hi muddyboots, how exciting that you have bees living in your nesting box! I'm very jealous. They are probably bumblebees. This page might help you identify them. They will only be there until late-summer, maybe into autumn but they definitely won't last the winter. It is unlikely that they would return next year, but they might do. Do you normally have birds nesting in there? If so the birds might get there first next year. Bumblebees are endangered so it would be a shame to get the council to remove them. They are fascinating to watch and will increase your yields if you grow fruit and veg. They are also much less likely to sting you than honeybees, the males don't even have stings. Hope this helps! Kate
20/05/2010 at 19:41
hi kate,thanks for your advice,i will watch them and take a few pictures so i can check them against the pictures you have left...and yes normally there are blue-tits nesting in there ,what i do find weird is that the birds were going back and forth getting nesting stuff,and then dissappeared,so there is a nest of moss in there,how do bees nest,and when is safe to remove it...im still a bit worried as they are very active....everyone has said ahhh thats lovely to have bees nesting,,,its not when you are allergic to them...and the box is inches away from the window,but dont worry i will leave alone.[boowho].
26/05/2010 at 12:38
Hi muddyboots, bees don't fetch their own bedding, they use what is already there, so at some point I imagine the queen bee and the birds had some sort of stand off and the bee won! If you leave them alone they are very, very unliklely to sting you. Bumblebees are much less likely to sting because their nests are smaller in size than honeybee colonies and they literally can't afford to lose their numbers (they die after stinging). I carry bumblebees about on my bare hands. I've only been stung by them twice and that was when I was moving a nest. They'll probably be gone by September, maybe earlier depending on the species. I'd keep your window closed if you're worried about them coming into the house. They don't fly at night so you could open it then? Oh, and the bbct would love to hear about your nest box. Hope this puts your mind at rest a little? Kate
29/05/2010 at 18:51
hi kate,thank you kindly for you advice,i have done the survey today and e-mailed the lady for another survey, i have another problem as well i have another birdhouse at the end of my house and again many years bluetits have nested there and raised babies,this year the blue-tits nested layed eggs,eggs hatched mum&dad feeding babies then an blimimg woodpecker keeps attacking the box this went on for a week or so i kept scaring it of, the hole got bigger,and on tuesday i noticed a lot of flys going in box...checked it out and 3 baby[feathered] dead inside the woodpecker must of scared the parents off.why has this happened,i have removed box and got a woodcrete box instead so a woodpecker cannot attack hole...
02/06/2010 at 11:37
Hi, we have a nature pond in our garden where water used to lay for most of the year, so we dug it out. Before we had a chance to think about lining it, rain had filled it up and before long we had newts in there! The problem now is that it is choked up with pond weed. Should we just remove all of this, and replace it with more managable pond plants? We're worried that there may be newt eggs wrapped in the weed, and we don't want to be newt killers! Is it worth lining it at some stage too? In the summer we have to top it up with rain water because it does drain slowly, but only for 3 or 4 months (and it's not very deep - 3 foot at the most) Thanks! Gary.
05/09/2011 at 10:37
I have a medium sized natural pond in my garden - giant reed mace was introduced 2 years ago and is now taking over. What is the best way to keep it as a manageable clump - when is the best time to cut it back?
18/09/2011 at 10:12
Nobody replies in the forum mate - better luck elsewhere :(
28/11/2011 at 18:40
Hi to Sarahspondlife. There's no need to drain a wildlife pond, unless you need to change a liner or move the pond for some reason. If it becomes choked with weed - carefully remove about two thirds of each type and remember to leave it and any debris beside the pond over night to allow any little critters to find the water again. If you are lining or moving the pond it's a good idea to collect as many containers as you can. Plastic dustbins with handles are best. Fill these with the water, weed and debris from the bottom of the pond to save as much as poss'. Re-move the liner carefully 'there might be newts underneath'. Re-line, re-fill and top up with rain water.
email image
21 to 30 of 30 messages