London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
9 messages
22/01/2013 at 14:46
no,but I would like you to try it first,sounds interesting.
22/01/2013 at 14:48

Tried them once-absolutely horrible-do not bother

22/01/2013 at 21:01
How were your dahlias cooked, sotongeoff? I wonder if some varieties taste better than others, or whether the way they're cooked makes a difference?
22/01/2013 at 21:04

This was years ago-they were roasted as I recall-tasted of well -nothing

Thinking back they were the cactus ones grown from seed -the flowers were not up to much either -hence the experiment

23/01/2013 at 10:42

Facciola. S. Cornucopia - A Source Book of Edible Plants

Root - cooked and used as a vegetable]. A bitter flavour A sweet extract of the tuber, called 'dacopa', is used as a beverage or as a flavouring. It is mixed with hot or cold water and sprinkled on ice cream. Its naturally sweet mellow taste is said to combine the characteristics of coffee, tea and chocolate]. The root is rich in the starch inulin. Whilst not absorbed by the body, this starch can be converted into fructose, a sweetening substance suitable for diabetics to use

Info from http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Dahlia+pinnata

05/03/2013 at 06:31

Oh dear, a dangerous failure to understand written English by Jon Cob. 

All parts of the tulib contain toxins 

"When humans consume tulip bulbs they often experience dizziness, vomiting, diarrhea, extreme abdominal pain and excessive salivation. Convulsions and coma may occur with death following."

Read more: Tulip Bulb Toxicity | Garden Guides http://www.gardenguides.com/128031-tulip-bulb-toxicity.html#ixzz2MdyevNts

I do hope you haven't followed your own advice Jon cob - and I do hope that your dangerous lack of knowledge hasn't lead someone else to try eating tulip bulbs.

You are correct in one respect - starvation did result in some people trying to eat tulip bulbs during WW2 - however the results were tragic.!

05/03/2013 at 07:46

think I will leave the tuber casseroles for now

05/03/2013 at 08:43

More rowlocks from gridgardener

05/03/2013 at 14:05

Wouldn't eat any tubers other than the ones I know are OK to eat.  Some of them are extremely poisonous, like aconite.  Best to leave well alone, UNLESS you know what you are doing.  Same goes for wild mushrooms, I'd sooner buy supermarket ones that are guaranteed to be OK.

A lot of the Dutch died at the end of WW2, they were so hungry they tried eating bulbs of every variety.  There also weren't many dogs or cats around, those that hadn't already died of starvation were themselves eaten.  If you are dying of starvation, anything that will stay down is palatable.  Even dog, cat, rat, hegehog or horse.  Nature is a Mother, and as such she's tried to make things that are not good for you bitter.  It's no good for the plant, either.  Lots of seeds are designed to pass unharmed through an animal's system in order that they germinate AWAY from the parent plant, thus aiding propogation of the species.  Tomatoes are a good example, I've been told (don't know if true) that they won't germinate unless the gelatinous coat is removed, by going through an animal's system.

I'd be interested to know (as there are lots of clever folks hiding on here) if there is ANYTHING that's bad for you that tastes nice?  I thought most things that would make you ill were bitter, on purpose.

email image
9 messages