Start a new thread

1 to 7 of 7 replies

Talkback

Talkback: Fat hen

my"lawn"is being overgrown by a weed which by looking at pictures i think is fatweed.my neighbour thinks it used to be called "vinegar weed"...

Jump to latest post

1 to 7 of 7 replies

my"lawn"is being overgrown by a weed which by looking at pictures i think is fatweed.my neighbour thinks it used to be called "vinegar weed".any suggestions on removal would be appreciated .thank you from an elderly computer novice.
sotongeoff

Use a selective lawn weedkiller for broad leaved weeds -like dandelion-that, and regular mowing should help

But not yet -wait till everything starts growing

Gardening Grandma

Vinegar weed is trichostema lanceolatum and you can look that up in wikipedia. It has blue flowers. I've never heard of fatweed, though there is a weed called fat hen, which is different from vinegar weed. I should have thought that raking your lawn regularly would pull out seedlings and that using a product like Weed and Feed would help a lot. You probably know this already and I'm wondering what it is about the weed that makes it a particular problem?

nutcutlet

The Trichostema and fat hen, (as thread title) are both annuals, soon mown out of existance on a lawn.  googled trichostema and saw the blue flowers. now wondering about lawn weeds like speedwell

Permaculture solution: eat them!
The leaves are edible as a vegetable like spinach or sorrel. Fat hen is related to quinoa, and the thousands of seeds are similarly high in protein.

Advertisement

I get it - that's why its called fat hen!

Dovefromabove

Jo, the original query was posted in 2013 - the lawn's either been totally overtaken by it or cured by now