London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 14°C
10 messages
14/04/2007 at 12:13
The small mammal referred to could be a vole, possibly a field or bank vole
11/04/2008 at 12:02
I was sitting in the garden on Monday, enjoying a brief bout of sunshine, and watching the antics of one of those little creatures. I have always assumed they were bumblebees - so thanks for the info. There are certainly lots of places to nest in our garden!!
13/04/2008 at 09:10
I get these insects on my grape hyacinths too and didn't know that they are not bumblebees. I am doing a member's experiment for Garden Organic to help establish a survey of the bee population in the UK so I need to be careful when I next spot it. I am still learning, I guess, but thanks for the info. They are lovely to watch and cheer me up.
14/04/2008 at 17:17
Hi,I'm hoping someone can help me. I just took over an allotment just recently and I have come across some bees in the ground. Can anyone offer me some advice? Do I leave them there or do I have them removed? If they are beneficial I'd rather not disturb them unnecessarily. But they are where I wanted to plant my potatoes!!!! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
15/04/2008 at 09:10
Hi Kate, if the bees are bumblebees they could be endangered, so I wouldn't try and move them. It's unfortunate that they've moved in to your potato patch, but they'll be really beneficial to your crops in the long term, being on hand to pollinate flowers and increase your yields.

You could try to encourage them to move elsewhere by buying or making a bumblebee nest box, adding some cut grass and moss to it, and placing it nearby, under a hedge or alternative sheltered place.

You could also visit the Bumblebee Conservation Trust, which has plenty of advice on identifying bumblebees and encouraging them to visit your garden, as well as how to make a nesting box. I hope this helps, Kate.

22/04/2008 at 20:32
I thought it might be a vole, but it seemed so unlikely. Thank you. Last year I saw a bee pull a leaf into a hole in my wall, so this might be the feather foot bee!
23/04/2008 at 09:15
Reply to Kate: I'm going to echo Gardener's World Kate's comments on bees. If they are bumblebees they will continue living without getting in your way. Bumblebees are remarkably docile, considering the powerful weapon they have in their stings. If the bees are 'solitary' soil-nesting species, again they are very discrete and will not interfere with you even if you are tilling the ground quite close to their nests.
30/04/2008 at 19:21
Hi there, i am new to this, but would like to ask if anyone has heard a cuckoo yet, i have been lucky enough to see a pair just recently.
03/07/2010 at 14:08
I definitely want to read a bit more soon. BTW, pretty nice design this site has, but what do you think about changing it from time to time? Mia Cliptown
28/11/2011 at 18:31
I have a small animal appearing in the garden. It eats the seeds dropped by the birds from the feeder. It is slightly bigger than a field mouse, longer body, shorter tail, small ears, brown and a blunter face! Anyone have an idea what it might be?
email image
10 messages