Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Field bindweed

Digging bindweed does actually work, although it seems like a never-ending job, especially when the roots are so easily broken. I started digging it out 2 years ago and this year I have seen a significant improvement - I can see why successful gardeners are patient people!

• I have tried digging it out, but it sometimes wanders in from the neighbouring gardens. My advice is to cut the bottom of a lemonade bottle, unwind it from the host plants, put it inside the bottle from the bottom and push the bottom of the bottle firmly in the ground. Now you can position the nozzle of your weedkiller spray over the top of the bottle and spray to your heart's content. For extra protection you can even put the top on your lemonade bottle.
  • When I left my last house and moved to my present house which has a much smaller garden I thought I had left behind years of fighting this dreaded weed. But the gremlins which live in all gardens decided I did not get off so easily and I find myself in another battle against this invader. Battle commenced this summer and I think I am winning !!!!!!!
  • i had planted some foxglove then 2 weeks later that weed came......... this means war
  • No matter how much I dug/sprayed/covered ground with old carpet - up it came again! Now I wait until there is a good growth from a few plants together (easier if they are given a cane to climb up), fill an old jar with weedkiller and stuff all the top growth into it. They take it in through the leaves and it dies right back to the root. A heavy infestation may need this treatment more than once but much easier than digging. Works with brambles, too!
  • I have a very heavy infestation of this weed as i back on to a piece of field/wasteland. I've dug, treated, burned & even paved bad areas to no affect, until that is i came across a very old gardening Q&A book. It suggest waiting till autumn/winter wen weed is at it's quietest, unravelling it & leave it soaking in a very weak systemic water mix(a large bucket with a cover on it is required). I'm going to try this at the weekend as i see i have nothing to lose. Will let you know how this goes.
  • AH! Brambles! Now you're talking!

Thanks for the tip, Can't wait to try it on my most hated invasive plant.
  • We have hedges and fences around our garden and unfortunately both neighbours refuse to pull their bindweed up as they say its pretty:/ they don't care for their gardens, they're left to run pretty wild so I'm fighting a losing battle every Spring onwards:/

• Mary BellMary Bell Posts: 1
    Are the berries that come after flowering poisonous