London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 13°C
21 to 32 of 32 messages
13/07/2013 at 19:12

The entire area where I live is infested with this weed.  3 years ago I felt despondent as my previous years weeding seemed to increase this beast into a multi-headed monster.  I researched this and found this advice.  It has worked, but I will always have a problem but one which now takes 15 minutes every month to work at.

Mix a sachet of super strength Glysophate in the recommended amount of water. Once it has dispersed, add wallpaper paste to make a thick paste.  Wearing rubber gloves and using a paint brush, apply this mixture to any of the weed that is in full growth, that is, it looks like a large loose bottle brush.  You need to make sure each piece is covered from soil up over.  Once it is covered, I gently get the frond to stick together and loosely coil it around itself and lay it on the ground.  Don't waste time and paste on any shoots that are coming up, it wont have the desired effect.

3 Years ago, the task was monumental, last year much less so and this year its a case of working on any that pops up - and their isn't much of it. 

At the start of the season, I mixed up a small plastic tupperware about a 1 pint size of the mixture.  I leave it in the potting shed.  When I find any of the beast I nip down to the shed and get my "rescue remedy".  It works.  Even if it pours down with half an hour of pasting it stays put.

Happy gardening.

05/02/2014 at 21:52

Hi Monica

Your message made me smilevas i has been doing a similar thing, until i was recommended a product callled Pure Reap from a shop called Chemigro which is a different weedkiller to glyphosate amd much more effective. It really does the trick!!! I was soooo pleased as i been trying to get on top of this wretched weed for years - the more i tried to gt rid of it the faster it seemed to grow! Now ive found this i want everyone to share in this andcto know that there is life after marestail 

Happy days 

05/02/2014 at 21:55

Digging up old threads to post an advert. What will they think of next

06/02/2014 at 00:05

lol nutcutlet: I was thinking the same. Shame on you Mabel and your shameless advertising.

06/02/2014 at 04:37
Bugger - thought I had been given the answer to my prayers... Continue with the vigilance then!
Advertising on an evening to get maximum exposure?
06/02/2014 at 07:37

Pure Reap -  Pure #**#  more like....

06/02/2014 at 07:49

Just keep on hoeing.

06/02/2014 at 11:26
Whilst hoeing helps it is better to dig out as far as possible - easier said than done!
23/04/2014 at 11:05

As its name suggests it is a weed of fields as well as gardens.  Farmers control it with weedkillers and regular cultivation - I've never heard of a field going out of production because of it. 

23/05/2014 at 13:36

Has anyone experience of marestail being controlled with strong glycosphate and using a surfactant like washing up liquid or Iso Propyl alcohol to allow the chemical in.  My allotment has always had it since my father in laws days and wonder whether anyone has had success - if so can we have the recipie

04/06/2014 at 12:06

Scottish Waterways Trust has created a sensory garden in Auchinstarrey Marina next to the town of Kilsyth. The garden creation was funded and the work carried out by volunteers assisted by excellent gardeners who gave up their working time to assist. The planting areas are maintained by volunteers from the local areas and 16 to 24 year olds who are working on getting into the work environment and facilitated by Scottish Waterways Trust. The planting areas have now got a heavy dose of this horsetail weed. We need to devise a plan to get the weed out but after reading the comments already posted it may well be too late for some of the planting areas. I have no idea what to do so here I am looking for advice. At present the worse areas are being targeted for digging out and starting again. BUT if the weed has survived dinosaurs, ice age, volcanic action and probably nuclear rays from the sun I am not confident I will see the back of this problem. Looking for advice

15/06/2014 at 21:08

I have this weed in my garden and this year it has gone mad! I try to control it by digging as much of the root out as possible. It does come back but the growth is much thinner & weaker. The use of chemicals is not possible because of leaching into the stream which borders our garden. It is a mammoth task but one which hopefully, will decrease. You have to remove all pieces of the plant though. I just go out on a daily basis.

email image
21 to 32 of 32 messages