Start a new thread

21 to 27 of 27 replies

HI Im new to growing fruit and veg and rescued some rhubarb crowns from my grandads garden after he died last year. I was abit silly and put it in a approx 10 inch pot and covered it with soil. things happened and i forgot to move it to the graden and re plant it. I thought i would have killed it for sure but by a miracle it looks great. It has healthy leaves and several nice red stalks. Should i move it to a bigger pot or as it seems to be doing ok should i leave it where it is as its growing?
What a great success story with your grandad's rhubarb. I'd be worried about it in a 10in pot as it is a seriously thirsty plant and keeping it moist in so small a pot, especially once it has full sized foliage, will be nightmarous! I'd be inclined to transplant it, but do so asap, and keep it really, really well watered....and keep on giving it lots of TLC throughout the rest of spring and summer
In the Autumn, cover your Rhubarb in Horse manure and you will have an amazing crop next year...
I was recently (October 4)told by a church friend that you shouldn't eat rhubarb after July as it becomes poisonous! This amused me because my older brother only visits once a year - this time in July.Because he likes rhubarb crumble - and we have a 53 year old crown, which seems to grow longer, thicker & more plentiful the more you pick it - I made a very large rhubarb crumble which he ate most of (tho my 88 year old Mum and I had some of it too) and we're all still here months later & (touch wood!) going strong so far!! Has anyone else heard of this old wives' tale, & could it have any basis in fact?


I have moved my rhubarb from my flowering border where the blind lady before me had it close to the door but it doesn't seem to be doing very well it looks very thin and sparse any advice would be welcome thanks

Sign up or log in to post a reply