London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
1 to 20 of 40 messages
21/01/2009 at 12:42
We have peacocks in our garden and the foxes have had two of them over the years. They peacocks normally roost high in the oak tree, but for reasons unknown to us, on 2 occasions they haven't and therefore fallen victim. Although this makes me sad, I see it as nature taking its course. The fox has to eat, and is not aware that these are pets to us, or even someone's livelihood. I have seen film of foxes that have killed all the chickens in a roost. They may eat some there but then they take them away to bury and store. Of course if they are disturbed during this process, the job will not be completed and it seems that a pointless killing spree has taken place. I try to stay true to the belief that nature is nature, and foxes eat chickens (and peacocks), just as we eat chickens.
22/01/2009 at 20:40
A fox came and ate my rabbit! It took the head and left the body and I'd just finished burying it and it came back for it..I was stood there broad daylight and it jumped up onto the fence and we both froze staring at one another...it was a beautiful creature. I'd have left the body for it if I'd known it was going to come back. I missed my rabbit though.
23/01/2009 at 09:37
We have a three generations of foxes which vistit our garden, I am not ashamed to say that we feed them as we do the birds and they even have names. We have become quite attached to them over the years, yes they try to catch the birds and squirels and are sometimes sucessful but that is nature. We have sparrowhawks which kill the birds but accept that this is nature and are pleased to see them. Man has to learn to give wildlife space too.
23/01/2009 at 11:39
I must admit I put food out for the foxes. I just do not like to throw away food , especially if someone needs it .
23/01/2009 at 15:29
I live in the Dulwich area. I loathe the foxes that ruin my garden, keep me awake and cause untold mess when they can get hold of any rubbish from bins. Ever been in Dulwich Park as it opens, Richard, and seen the filth and mess they leave behind as they scavenge through the Park? Alot of it is in the playground where small children are exposed to the diseases they no doubt carry. And don't get me started on people who feed them. I can see I am alone in this blog having this view, but around where I live there are many people who feel as I do.
23/01/2009 at 15:56
I'm fed up with foxes. A mangy scrap, with no fur from its shoulders down to the tip of its tail, stopped for a good scratch on the lawn. Glad we've not got a dog as mange is contagious. Filled up two fox-created holes in our aged but adequate fence and the fox broke down more fencing to find its way in. Then there's the smelly, gooey deposits they leave on the lawn and garden plants. Surprised they bother to jump 2 foot off the ground to do it in a favourite place on a walled bed! I'm fed up of picking up litter and old bones, filling in holes in the heather bed and picking up branches of wrecked plants that are barely surviving having been 'jumped on'. Give me a gun and I'll shoot 'em!
23/01/2009 at 20:51
Loads of foxes here in leicester. How do I stop them digging and pooing everywhere? My frined has a sonar deterrent tp protect her rabbits. Seems to work but I'd need them all over the garden.
24/01/2009 at 09:46
Seems I prompted a fight back on here. I forgot to say how expensive it is repairing fences they break through and also how vile it is to find one of their little presents (!) on my front door mat.
24/01/2009 at 14:55
I know all the negative side to foxes . No gain without pain. You might come back as a fox next time.
24/01/2009 at 22:29
I appreciate that there are many animal lovers out there. But can anyone give me advise on how to deter foxes from visiting my garden? Recently they have taken to leaving their waste by the front door. They visit regularly leaving their deposits and although I always wear gloves and use a shovel it is extremly unpleasent to clear up. There are far too many urban foxes which are not naturally native to towns but because of the easy pickings from people's rubbish we are over run with them. If Rabies came into our country again we would be in serious trouble, I remember the last outbreak and how distressing is was to have so much of our wild life shot.
25/01/2009 at 13:04
I too am bothered by foxes and the mess they create. I live on the coast and there is plenty of wooded and downland areas nearby, yet they have set up home in a very small area of a neighbours garden which is at the end of mine. This is too close for comfort. Is there any way to drive them away? They have taken wellingtons,and gardening boots as well as smashing down shrubs and plants. I fear it is humans that have made housing ares too easy for them to access food.
25/01/2009 at 20:38
They are evil killing machines and should be exterminated. Lovely, furry, Ugh!
26/01/2009 at 21:37
Reply to everyone. Thank you for all the comments, it's interesting to get different takes on these animals. I must admit that I still quite like foxes, even with all the problems they cause. The first day we moved into this house I took the girls (then 4 and nearly 2) out into the garden. Within minutes there was fox excrement everywhere as first one trampled it, then the other ran over it on her tricycle. Spare a thought for HM the Queen though. According to my sources it was a fox that scaled the walls and did away with the flock of flamingos one night.
27/01/2009 at 13:44
If i hear one more comment about fox mess and rubbish i shall scream i live in a rural area and dont mind foxes they do cause a mess but every time i go anywhere i see the flytipping of humans the filth in the sea and the tutting of people where do the think human waste goes? out of site out of mind is it? we have the ability to think out and plan and engineer yet weve reduced our "den"IE THE PLANET TO A SHAMBLES " yes cleaning up after foxes is unpleasant try cleaning up after the people who flytip in our lane i know that i rather the foxes every time
30/01/2009 at 13:55
Wednesday 28th jan at 9am we had two adult foxes in our back garden in quite a built up area, they walked along the top of my 6 foot fence, and came into the garden my wife and I watched them but as soon as they saw us they scaled my six foot fence into my neighbors garden, they looked two very healthy specimins, it was a joy to see foxes this close, Penny & Nick Cherryhinton Cambridge
30/01/2009 at 16:43
My thoughts exactly Rosie ,we get far more trouble from the human race who are supposed to know better
31/01/2009 at 12:20
I live in a rural area, & there`s always been foxws about.Last summer I noticed a young fox reguarly visit my front garden at night, sometimes accompanied by an older one. I started to put food out for it, & now the youngster comes every night between 11 & 3. Its favourite is grated cheese & dog biscuits. It never leaves a mess, but it does mark plants near feeding area. It hasn`t damaged anyplants either. It is now a healthy looking adult. Wonder if it will bring offspring of it`s own, come summer?
31/01/2009 at 15:59
Spring lover, I am sure it will bring its young to you and why not .They do sometimes leave their toilet behind ,I assume that is thank you .
04/02/2009 at 12:34
foxes are not good in the garden. they mess in the ground feeding station, day and night. mess on the door steps, dig holes under the shed and under the hedge ( here to bury any food they fancy from the the bird feeders. having been away when the snow settled i can see their trails across the garden combing the feeding stations for any likely finds. they also seem to need to mess in the bird baths!!!! i could continue but they are not lovely creature, often very mangy looking. there are now 3 regularly in the garden. they will always remind me of the chicken coops of my childhood full of dead bodies.
04/02/2009 at 19:03
Last year, we discovered that a fox came into the garden daily. We had just bought 7 chickens. She ignored them completely each time she entered the garden (I watched her often). So I decided to feed her a good meal of decent dog food each day. She delighted us with her presence at dusk, whenever dusk was and sat on the garden path, waiting for her meal. I could get to within 1 or 2 metres of her when I put the bowl down. She never showed interest in the chickens, not even two chicks with our broody Silkie on the lawn in a cage. The last time I saw her, she looked very ill and I knew she was about to die. I never saw her again. But I feel honoured to have had her company for about a year.
1 to 20 of 40 messages