London (change)
Today 26°C / 19°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 16°C
21 to 34 of 34 messages
23/05/2010 at 13:36
I love the smell of viburnums, some lillies, roses of course.
10/06/2010 at 14:25
Ilove Geums and have both Mrs Bradshaw(red) and Lady Strathdean(yellow)varieties in my garden.One clump of Lady Strathdean has 2 bright red flowers flowering amongst the yellow-is this unusual as I have never had this happen before?
27/08/2010 at 16:26
07/11/2010 at 12:55
I do agree with you. Gardens should look good and appealing. Colors play a great part in it. Thank you for a great blog!
28/11/2011 at 18:40
There is a shrub in a neighbour's front garden that knocks me out in January. I have no idea what it is but I can smell it several blocks away. I think it may be a Daphne. It is now very high - about 10 feet , and I always thought Daphnes were shorter than that. Whatever, it's gorgeous (though boring for the remaining 11 months of the year so hardly 'garden worthy' in a small London garden). Still, I may knock on their door and ask if I can attempt to take a cutting. I guess it would be easier to identify it and then buy my own, though! Any ideas anyone??
11/06/2015 at 12:22

I am resurrecting this old thread to ask about favourite fragrant plants and flowers around your gardens at this time of the year (or any time of the year, for that matter).

Right now here we are enjoying the first Nicotianas and night scented stocks, cheddar pinks (a small pot only, unfurtunately... but I will make more ) and Jasminum azoricum. There's also the lemon tree flowers. My absolute favourite at the moment though, is Zaluzianskia capensis. It is only scented at night, and it smells (really) like marshmallow... with a pinch of bitter almonds, perhaps. All the roses have gone already, it's been too hot, except for Rosa rugosa.

As for leaves there's all the scented pelargoniums and herbs, and lemon verbena and two favourites of mine, Salvia elegans (pineapple scent) and Tagetes lemmonnii (tropical fruit-juice scent).

What are YOU sniffing?

11/06/2015 at 12:31

Currently "sniffing" heliotrope....the shrubby perennial Chatsworth.  Grow it in pots strategically placed around paths,,doors, etc and grow it in the garden.  The cherry pie is intoxicating.

lilium regale soon is womderful too as will be philadelphus in a week or two.

lippia citriodora and pineapple sage release their fragrances when touched or brushed against.

11/06/2015 at 12:53

You know, I am perfectly ashamed to say that I never managed to get my hands or nose on a Heliotrope plant! I almost ordered seeds this spring, but then a read that the seed raised annual plants are not as good as the shrubby ones. So I passed.

I LOVE philadelphus, we have several here but they are all to young and made very few flowers this year. Oh but the honeysuckle (L. halliana) is wafting all over the place. I have a single bud of Lilium regale... I will keep a close eye on it!

11/06/2015 at 15:39

Philadelphus, Rose Falstaff, sweet william, Miss Sinkins dianthus (my fave)  and bearded iris Dusky Challenger at the moment.

The most pervasive aroma though is oregano - it grows everywhere in my garden, a welcome weed, but as I'm pulling it up so often that's the scent I get the most

11/06/2015 at 15:42

Mrs Sinkins is very fine this year and a pink rose, one of the rugosas. It's been too cold in the evenings to go out and check honeysuckle

11/06/2015 at 16:03

Sweet Peas, Lavenders, Lilac, Honeysuckle and Roses. Waiting for my Shropshire Lad to flower!Herbs??? Love the smell of Rosemary.

11/06/2015 at 16:48

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/81289.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

There's only one, its the first! But boy does this sweet pea pack a nose punch! 

Have to say I'm a little bit chuffed, not grown them before, successfully anyway!

11/06/2015 at 17:45

I always add thyme to roast chicken, with the result that whenever I brush a thyme plant in the garden (or in the pastures) I get hungry

Love the sweet pea, WW... I planted two varieties this year "Cathy" and "Heathcliff" (I am a romantic at heart), but they are not blooming yet... (they are also not climbing the scunners, they keep flopping all over the place).

Edd
11/06/2015 at 17:53

You should try the donut plant as it does the same thing.

Katherine W wrote (see)

I always add thyme to roast chicken, with the result that whenever I brush a thyme plant in the garden (or in the pastures) I get hungry

email image
21 to 34 of 34 messages