21 to 40 of 64 messages
02/04/2009 at 18:33
Totally agree! It's a crude, hideous shrub compared with the gorgeous gentle yellows of daffodils.
02/04/2009 at 18:57
I completely disagree with you regarding forsythia, I think it is wonderful, makes me think of Easter, sunshine and is great in my flower arrangements, yes it has lasted for eight days and still looks good. It certainly looks better and smells better than the one it kills.
02/04/2009 at 19:03
I agree it conjures up my childhood memories and why oh why was it always palnted with the pink redcurrant (Ribes). The threesome made up with those hideous magenta coloured paeonies which only last a week before dropping masses of petals everywhere, leaving equally boring foliage all summer. Especially when there is such a sweetie shop of gorgeous plants and shrubs no matter what your climate.
02/04/2009 at 19:36
We had a huge garden when I was little, with a massive forsythia in one hidden corner. We buried our pets under it when they died, too, so for me, even though I think you're probably right about it being ugly, it's a must-have garden shrub. But luckily I have a lot of space to fill.
02/04/2009 at 19:38
When I was about 12 years old, I helped my Mum with the gardening and I chopped off what I thought was a dead twig but was in fact a newly purchased forsythia. When she moved out some 11 years later, the blooming thing was filling the flower bed down one complete side of the garden; about 30 feet in all. Now my neighbours gone and got one and I'm just waiting for it to invade my garden.....
02/04/2009 at 19:39
YOU'RE WRONG It's exactly the same shade of yellow as Daffs
02/04/2009 at 20:07
Sorry to disagree< James, but I love my forsythia. The thing I hate with a passion is spotted laurel - looks positively bilious!
02/04/2009 at 20:23
How sad that you hate this plant. My forsythia is beautiful. It's a vibrant pale yellow and left unpruned it produces beautiful trailing branches. I have planted a cutting of clematis macropetala Maidwell Hall through it, and expect even greater glory when this flowers!
02/04/2009 at 20:58
I love my forsythia & thanks KC, just the plant combination I was looking for! Then underplanted with yellow/white daffs and pale blue grape hyacinths or similar - a picture. And cheaper than a Van Gogh! PS. Hate ribes & wouldn't have even if I was paid to grow it!
03/04/2009 at 08:01
WE are planning to remove our Forsythia this weekend. I hate them as they have such a short time when they are interesting. Shrubs/trees in my garden have to be interesting at least twice in a year to earn their keep.
03/04/2009 at 08:42
The old-fashioned pale yellow forsythia with it's gracefully arching branches is beautiful. It's the newer 'tampered with by breeders' one with the garish gold flowers and straight boughs which is the one I hate !
03/04/2009 at 09:18
My husband also hates forsythia - I used to like it as it was often the only shrub in flower. He removed it a couple of years ago but I notice my neighbour has planted one!
03/04/2009 at 11:13
It's not that bad. If you really want see it come into its own, try the Pitti Palace in Florence in February. They somehow grow it in perfect Skylon type pillars and bring it indoors to stand on either side of the entrances to the galleries and great roms. Unforgettable.
03/04/2009 at 11:36
My Gran used to have a forsythia bush which grew in an old tin bath in her back yard in central Bristol. It was a tiny, dark, overshadowed back yard, but every year around March the forsythia would light the place up. When Gran moved in with us (that's Mum, Dad, Sis, Bro, me & dog) the forsythia bush came with her & was planted in a corner of the garden. Being a largish bush it took to its newfound freedom and thrived, lighting up what was otherwise a light, airy (gale-blasted at times) & quite reasonably sized new back garden on solid clay sub-soil. Thirty years on it's still lighting up the Spring, holding up the fence, providing nesting places for local birds & requiring a severe 'haircut' each April/May after flowering. Do not knock the humble Forsythia bush, James. There may be many more delicate, rarer & more up-market shrubs for spring. How many of them would cheerfully blossom every year in a tiny back yard, then continue for another thirty-plus years in solid clay?
03/04/2009 at 12:59
I was driving around our beautiful downland countryside the other day and these plastic building blocks of solid yellow were completely getting in the way of the soft and rolling landscape -- I started my rant and didnt finish untill a good few miles later. I too cannot bear it. and I started to wonder why? I discussed this with my driver (my partner) at length and came to the conclusion that the flowers were too tightly packed together, that they have probably been bred for what garden centres call maximum impact - ie false and fake? but he and I feel the same about most daffodils - the rant about those big heads nodding in patches of bare earth are an annual occurance in our house!
03/04/2009 at 13:06
I only commented the other day on Forsythia and how beautiful it is, it brightens up the whole of the village. Everyone should have one in their front garden to cheer us up after the depths of winter. Everybody hates something like red hot pokers and gladioli.
03/04/2009 at 16:27
My dog ate mine - nuff said
03/04/2009 at 17:01
O.K. I know what you mean James. But...it does have a saving grace. I once saw it used, here in wild Cumbria to screen a conifer hedge from the ravages of the weather, until the hedge became established. The Forsythia was then removed. Items which are easy to grow, vividly colourful and common often have an undeserved bad press. Kathleen.
03/04/2009 at 17:03
Why do people make sweeping statements that begin with "Everybody....." Do they KNOW everybody? Kathleen.
03/04/2009 at 21:02
Chimonanthus has a wonderful scent but it takes about 7 years before it flowers which you conveniently forgot to mention.I was so excited when mine flowered after 7 long drab years. Also, if you think Forsythia foliage is boring then Chimonanthus is even worse. I have both of these shrubs and I grow Viticella clematis through both of them which extends their season. I don't think any plant is hideous unless it is a vulgar thing bred as a garden centre special, you know what I mean. It is where you plant it and its companions and how you prune it that can transform it into a thing of beauty. What this demonstrates is that gardening is a very personal thing and can cater for all tastes which is why it is such a wonderful life long hobby that can cope with your changing tastes.
21 to 40 of 64 messages