London (change)
Today 11°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 32 messages
11/09/2009 at 15:50
My dad, in fear of grandchildren disappearing in the watery depths of his pond, spent a fortune on a custom made cover for it. He does love his pond. Well done on rescuing the frogs.
11/09/2009 at 18:34
well done for rescuing them any advice on attracting frogs and newts
11/09/2009 at 19:48
where's your biography and picture. All of the other writers seem to have them
12/09/2009 at 15:09
I have just built a pond and filled it with water. How do I attract newts? (I already have frogs and toads in the garden, living around the washing up bowl that we called a pond til now, and our compost heap.)
12/09/2009 at 15:20
ME TO,I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW HOW T GET THE GREAT-CRESTED NEWTS BACK INTO MY GARDEN,AS MANY YEARS AGO THEY WERE IN OUR AREA. I HAVE LOADS OF FROGS,TOADS AND PALMATE NEWTS,BUT WOULD REALLY LOVE TO KNOW IF AT ALL THEY WOULD EVER COME BACK.....
12/09/2009 at 22:58
Your pond life sounds like a good world in which to take a dip. Thank you for saving the little frogs. I used to rescue tadpoles from a puddle that would regularly dry up in the summer heat, and i still try to give the wee things a home wherever possible. Unfortunately, next door's cat likes their temporary accommodation too... Keep up the good work, ms b, and keep up the lovely blogs too. They're as lovely a treat in my work day as finding a frog in my flower pot. Thanks GW! x Irish Potato
13/09/2009 at 15:12
glad you have found frogs. we have had tadpoles in our pond but they and the frogs we usually see have all gone. Where one might ask. All my neigbours have said the same thing, no frogs big or small anywhere.
15/09/2009 at 15:11
I HAVE FROGS IN MY GARDEN AND THEY HAVE BEEN THERE FOR 3-4 YEARS.ONE OF WHICH HAS TURNED PURPLE AS IT KEEPS EATING MY BEETROOT,I CHANGE THE WATER IN MY POND ONCE A YEAR AND THEY SIT ON THE STONES AND WAIT PATIANTLY UNTIL FINISHED.THEYRE PART OF THE GARDEN AND WOULD BE MISSED IF THEY DECIDED TO MOVE.
17/09/2009 at 10:04
Thanks for all your comments. Happy, your purple beetroot-eating frog sounds great! For all those looking to attract great crested newts, this Froglife handbook is good: http://www.froglife.org/GCNCH/GCNCH.htm
17/09/2009 at 19:17
My husband and I built a pond in spring and were amazed how quickly it became teaming with life. We have a 3 year old and a 6 year old who have learnt so much by observing the pond life, I feel sad that so many children miss out on the experience..
17/09/2009 at 20:46
I live in an area that at one time teaming with frogs newts and toads, after the M25 was built their habitat was decimated still see a few here and there but they do hide away in the undergrowthto keep cool, my pond is made in a cut down barrel and all visitors welcome, do have to be careful of rats comming off the railway bank.
17/09/2009 at 21:45
hi, when i'm working in the garden & i see a frog i scream, i have the biggest fear of frogs ever, we have no pond, no long grass, 6ft high fences can someone please tell me how to keep them out, PLAESE HELP.
18/09/2009 at 07:30
I have a small oblong pond ,about 3ftx5ft, when I moved here 15yrs ago we put 3 fish in it , we now have 15 fish and and the same if not more frogs plus newts difficult to keep count but it is a great joy to me to watch, I am 75 and on my own and I just love to watch them every day. bye for now,Sue!
18/09/2009 at 12:14
I have a hlf barrel that I've been meaning to use as a water feature for ages but there is plenty of 'how to plant' info but no winter upkeep inf. What happens if the whole thing freezes as it will up in the north-east of Scotland. Can anyone tell me how to keep this type of feature healthy all year long?
18/09/2009 at 18:51
I have 2 frogs living in my garden, one in each greenhouse. I have no idea how they get in there but they are very happy. I did oust them out for the summer and last Saturday heard one of them 'croaking' from under the bridge in my home made stream, sure made me feel good, but the cat thought it a little strange!
19/09/2009 at 18:57
HELP...................... This has nothing to do with toads,but could someone tell me how to get rid of creosote that has dripped onto my garden slabs when i was painting my shed,i did put crdboard down but it soaked through,it has now dryed on the concrete slabs,i have tryed jet-washing it off [no luck],and i rubbed washing up liquid all over the area [no luck either].It looks a real mess HELP.
21/09/2009 at 19:07
i have two ponds in my back garden. the small pond has toads in it. and it has loads of frogs in it. last year before they bread i must of counted at least 60 frogs and about 10 toads. it is grate waching them. i have a pond on my allotment. but i dont have any frogs in it sume one put fish in it.
22/09/2009 at 10:24
hi, to the lady with the creosote problem, you need some brick acid, this will take off the top layre of slab, and with it the creosote, unfortunatly its not very environment friendly, you then need to wash it off very quickley with soapy water, hope this helps. you can buy this stuff at any good diy store, and its cheap.
22/09/2009 at 19:11
THIS IS TO JUICEY,MANY THANKS FOR ADVICE I WILL BUY SOME,HOPE IT WORKS... IM SO PLEASED SOMEONE REPLIED. JUST WONDERING IS THAT WHAT I ASK FOR 'BRICK ACID'.WILL THEY KNOW WHAT I MEAN....
22/09/2009 at 19:54
Great story. I planted half a busted water butt in the ground in summer 08. Only wildlife so far is a leech, plenty of mosquito larvae and water snails. There are as far as I know no other sources of water close by so I doubt I'll attract frogs etc. My baby girl is nearly 2 so I think it will son be time to make a larger pond
1 to 20 of 32 messages