Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Garden foxes

Yes, they're a right pain in the backside - walking over the vegetable plot, seed beds etc. I try to keep them out but to little avail.

What's the best form of deterrent - ultrasound, chemical sprays etc...??

• we have foxes and badgers that come into the garden,they  are part of the wildlife around and do in our case take out a lot of the rat population ,you have to live with them to be part of the environment we live in ,annoying sometimes but so are humans.You cant choose what comes to visit or what you prefer,as to a deterrent and if you need one ,is an old folk one,urinate around the site you don't want them to be,image

• Like "flowering rose" we have foxes and badgers too.We have tried everything to deter them but to no avail. We have now learnt to accommodate them by using cloches(clear corrugated sheets are good. We also "plant" holly branches around vulnerable plants. Foxes DO keep the rats away. We had rats in our gardens a couple of years ago and saw foxes catching them in broad daylight! Now we leave blocks of lard overnight on the bird table  and it is still there on the morning.(We were told to use this trick as a test as ,if we still had rats it would have gone). Some neighbours have 6' fences but to no avail as they(foxes) jump over them effortlessly.

We have come to the conclusion that they are part of our enviroment and if we had not encroached on the woodlands etc. they would not be in our gardens.image

• roxy2roxy2 Posts: 23
    Foxes are less annoying in the garden than children. They deserve our protection, I am so fed up with people moaning about wildlife.
  • sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    roxy2 wrote (see)
    Foxes are less annoying in the garden than children. They deserve our protection, I am so fed up with people moaning about wildlife.

If you have lost chickens to foxes as I have,had a dog caught mange from them as I have,a pet rabbit taken from a neighbours garden ,holes dug in lawns- then you might understand why I-and probably a lot of people- do not want foxes in their gardens

In an urban enviroment they are a pest.

Nothing to do with moaning about wildlife at allimage

• Every now and then i have a couple of foxes in my back garden.

the next morning I find foxes poo witch you can easily recognize by the thin elongated shape and color which is black. I Like foxes a lot.

It's a shame that they are hunted all over the place. Its a living creature that deserves to live.
  • we have chickens too and if you do you have lock them up securely at dusk and provide a strong enclosure ,and when they are out in the garden  we keep  a close eye on them,from cats as well even dogs,A friend had his chickens killed by a dog who the owner claimed was quite dog.anyhow a secure pen and locking up at dusk and rat avoidance lock all food in steel bin and clear up any scraps.image

• My neighbours  have kept chickens for years and have not lost any so far as they are well protected and their surroundings are kept clean and tidy. They still attract rats which are kept in check by the foxes.We often see the foxes in their garden during the day and they just ignore the chickens!image

• AEHAEH Posts: 3
    What fencing would work best to keep the foxes out? I was thinking of 6ft wire or metal mesh.
  • sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    AEH wrote (see)
    What fencing would work best to keep the foxes out? I was thinking of 6ft wire or metal mesh.

This might be of interest~~~~~

http://www.wildlifeonline.me.uk/fox_deterrence.html

-it is not just the height of the fence that needs to be considered-they will also dig underneath-would not like to say for certain whether your idea would stop themimage

• Foxes are vermin in an urban environment NOT 'cutesy' wildlife. They destroy everything - my 7 year old daughter's garden has been turned into a fox latrine and her playhouse raided for the plastic food. She also lost a pair of boots left out. One wellie later recovered chewed to pieces!! I had an old apple tree dug out and then had to returf - four times before I could stop them digging large holes!! I dont' believe there is a deterrent that works (being female the urination trick doesn't work) Frankly, right now I am quite tempted by a friends offer of a rifle!!!! I do think that they should be treated as vermin, in the same way as rats and squirrels, by councils. I quite understand jatnikapyar's comments that their 'areas' are being encroached upon, but ours is a 1920's house, so not recent by any means. They are breeding out of control and numbers need reducing, preferably starting with my house! Oh dear, I fear I am ranting!