London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 36 messages
02/10/2013 at 11:23
Halo Kate,yesterday while I was walking my dogs in the park I saw two old ladies picking up conkers, when I asked if they were collecting them for there grandchildren one said no if you put one in each corner of a room the smell keeps spiders away, mith or fact I'm not sure if it works!! Oldchippy.
02/10/2013 at 11:51

I've heard of that up here in the Peak District. I've never tried it because I quite like having the spiders in the house. They keep down the woodlice. And they give the cats something to play with during the night instead of waking us up for entertainment.

02/10/2013 at 11:55

The cats could play with the conkers 

Yes, I've heard of this - putting conkers under beds etc to keep spiders away.

02/10/2013 at 13:01

Apparently the conker thing does work! A friend of mine's mum has them around her house and says she never sees a spider. The lucky thing! I HATE spiders, but recognise that they have their place in the ecosystem and do have some uses (trapping and eating up more of the bugs that I don't like!!) so over the last couple of months I've been a big brave girl and tried to just ignore them (that is unless they drop on my head or run across my feet eek) but its situatio ridiculous at my house right now with spiders and I just can't cope with them any more. There are just simply too many in my porchway off of the garden (even though it has a door to shut out the outside world) and the front door to my house and the surround (bearing in mind I live in a house made of wood) are absolutely crawling with them. Huge great disgusting hairy long legged things. Urgh. Yuk. And I can be brave no more lol I just cant cope with that many and its difficult to keep them away cos there are so many that webs spring up over night in both places, attracting even more and I can't touch the spiders to move them so I can get rid of their lovely webby things! Am now resorting to conkers and some sort of spray which says it contains chestnut oil so I can hopefully get rid, clear down the webs and be spider free. Happy days lol Unapologetic wimpy type person when it comes to bugs, especially the eight legged variety!

02/10/2013 at 13:21

I keep spotting them at night running across the floor. Don't bother me at all. Just pick them up and put them outside. Oldest daughter had one in her bedroom when she was small and used to have a little chat each day with it. For her 2nd birthday she asked if she could have a tarantula!

That's the trouble with encouraging them to talk.....

02/10/2013 at 13:24

hehe Fg, no conkers necessary at your place then!

02/10/2013 at 13:38

No Heather! We're just bonkers not conkers!

02/10/2013 at 13:59

I always have conkers in the corners of the living room... My mum did it to prevent spiders and now so do I!! Although they are free to roam around the rest of the house( glen has been in the kitchen now for well over a month!) mmmm the fact I have names the spider glen and I will admit to talking to him while I bake think I may have a loose conkers in my head!

02/10/2013 at 14:14

Ladies I find the vacuum cleaner works well in getting rid of there webs and some time the spider as well.Happy hunting!!!

02/10/2013 at 14:49

We have a big Humphrey. He usually comes out when we have guests, and makes a leisurely walk across the centre of the room. He keeps the flies down. The pile of conkers in a bowl doesn't seem to bother him/her.

02/10/2013 at 14:55

oldchippy. I've tried the vacuum cleaner approach lol it works perfectly well in the rest of the house but the porchway off of the garden and the outside of the house it's not so successful at lol half the garden always ends up in the porchway cos it tramps in off of the pathway (which turns to mud in the rain!). And I don't need to hunt mine, I know exactly where they are.....and I swear they watch me back

02/10/2013 at 14:56

Stacey - no comment!

02/10/2013 at 15:08

Heather have you got a stiff broom,that will work to remove most things.

02/10/2013 at 15:21

Yep have one of those too. Problem is just too many of the webs etc right now the spiders have been really, really evident. I live in the country too in a house surrounded by trees with lots and lots of grass so there are plenty of spiders around the house and a lot of them like to be in it by the sounds of it. Outside if especially tricky to keep clear especially in the wet. Gossamer apparently is one of the strongest substances on the planet! I'm tackling both the porchway and the outside again at the weekend (assuming its dry enough) and I'm hoping that they'll stay away for a bit, especially with my trust "no spider" spray. One we get to about the end of October the problems should sort itself out anyway as there are nowhere near so many spiders around, its just August to October they get everywhere.

02/10/2013 at 15:46

Brooms and spiders.must nearly be Halloween  

Any witches about?

02/10/2013 at 16:06

oooh, can't cope with spiders, can deal with anything else.  If one runs across the room i'm outta there until i know someone has dealt with it - wimp

02/10/2013 at 16:27

When I was at school we would get a twig with a fork in it and collect spider webs,one boy had a ball of web about the size of a tennis ball by turning it in the web,one day he got a bit of a surprize when a funnel web spider came out of the web.

02/10/2013 at 16:31

Sounds like the stuff of horror films Old Chippy.

02/10/2013 at 18:47

Glen.....

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32036.jpg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

02/10/2013 at 20:10

Not sure what to say Stacey. Normally when people post up pics of "pets" I'd say, ah cute, or gorgeous. Neither one applicable here 

1 to 20 of 36 messages