Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Gardeners' World Magazine Seed Club

When I saw the title 'Seed Club' I thought it would be a place where gardeners would be able to swap seeds?

Catherine

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

There has been a thread running here where forum members have been swapping seeds- some have even kindly given them awayimage

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/seed-swap/64712-16.html

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Our seed swap is being very successful and will probably liven up again soon when the next round of sowing starts. I know I shall have extras, especially from those I saved from my own garden. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Hello Catherine

Try this link below, we are swapping seeds here online if you want to join in with us you can. I thought that the magazine was going to be like that as well but just buy seeds and have help instead which is nice as well.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/the-potting-shed/seed-swap/64712.html

Gardengirl..

Hampshire Gardener
  • All minds think the same there go to the seed swap forum, computer mess up a bit here would of been posted earlier. I have signed up to the seed club and get emails now which is good  www.gardenersworld.com/seed-club  to sign up if you want

The flower chart looks interesting

http://www.gardenersworld.com/images/seed-club/GW-Seed-Club-flower-sowing-calendar-factsheet.pdf

Anyone else signed up?

Hampshire Gardener
    break23 wrote (see)

I recently saw some information, on this forum, on what to do to see if seed was still viable for sowing.  Have searched but to no avail.  Can anyone help please?

What you can do is a test sowing in a small flowerpot of a few seedsimage

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I've signed up and have printed off the sowing sheet. Like the way it says most suitable container for the seed as well.

• Lupin2Lupin2 Posts: 17

I was given some seeds of limnanthes, fried egg plants which I believe are loved by bees. Can anyone tell me when to plant them please and do I need to chill them first?

• Sue HSue H Posts: 415
    Lupin. Sow them where u want. They seem to grow everywhere! And they self seed from then on! Always look pretty early in the year when u need it.

Yes hardy annual so sow in situ-a lot of hardy annuals not like root disturbance.

But if your soil is anything like most others- soggy and cold -wait for it to warm up a bit or they will just rot image

• GirasoleGirasole Posts: 193

Morning Forkers, hope you are all well. I have been so busy with all sorts of other  things that I haven't had a chance to pop in here for agesimage

I received my first email about the GW Seed Club earlier this week but haven't had time to look at it properly yet but at a first glance it looks good. I must say I like the idea of being told what to do and when and how to do it - being an amateur I need a leading hand until I hopefully get the hang of things.!

Geoff, any news on the house sale front? Hope so for your sake.