London (change)
Today 22°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 13°C
11 messages
01/01/2007 at 00:00
Don't let it get you all down so much! Plan your gardens for the spring and summer. Get the seed catalogues out and save yourself some money buy growing your own plants. Work out your colours for pots and hanging baskets rather than going in 'blind' to the GC in May/June. Weed your borders, its easier to do in the wet. Look through the previous years gardening magazines, you may have not read them properly when there was so much gardening to do, cut out and file the articles you want to keep. Plant trees. Plant roses. Make sure you plant winter flowering plants to entice you outside. There is gardening to be done, you may have to do it with more layers of clothing on but you will so pleased you made the effort.
18/01/2008 at 09:28
Hi Pippa, I look on the positive side... on the odd occasion its dry enough to actually go out in the garden it is much easier to pull the wretched creeping buttercup out of my border!
21/01/2008 at 00:42
Is there anything we can dig into the soil before winter starts to prevent the water ruining the established plants. I had my wellingtons on and my feet sank into the wet border when I was tying my newly planted in November Holly tree up.
21/01/2008 at 15:06
Pippa I'm in Upper Lincolnshire and I'm so very depressed. The continuing wet weather means I get next to no exersize and the lack of sun means our lights at home are on all day. What happened to bright frosty winter days when the sun shone and we heard the birds singing? We were able to tidy the garden and chop wood in between warming mugs of soup bought out to the hard working gardener. It's all gone,gone,gone away.
21/01/2008 at 18:44
An I the only person who enjoys the rest my garden and I am entitled to. It is winter after all and I prefer to spend this time tucked up in the house with a hot drink and seed catalogues. Our weather is why we have a green and pleasant land
21/01/2008 at 18:50
How I agree Pippa... The weather has been foul. My shingle drive last week turned into a lake and the acre of garden is a muddy mess. Like you last week I cleaned the shed out, unheard of at this time of year. Perhaps we could do a duet.
22/01/2008 at 20:18
I agree with laid back our gardens need a rest like the rest of us. It will soon be spring and even with this dreadful weather there are some bulbs coming to life in my garden, I live in the North Pennines so it can't all be bad, get those seeds ordered.
23/01/2008 at 15:00
Hi Willow, if you like birds you may be interested in our RSPB wallpapers. There are 20 fantastic images to choose from to coincide with the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch, which is taking place this weekend, 26-27 January.
31/01/2008 at 16:50
I love the way your forecast says "UK" and has gentle 19MPH winds for this afternoon. Up here in central Scotland the wind has yet again reached howling speeds and the lid of my compost bin has just flown past the window!

The secret of success in this garden is to grow a good shelter belt and when the grass is like a bog, curl up in the warmth with the garden design books and dream.

01/07/2008 at 13:33
Years ago I used to use a product called "Nobble", manufactured by a firm called Fieldspray. It contained Potassium Permanganate, and was watered onto the soil. It killed the slug eggs. I do not think it is available now, but Murphy's Sluggit works well as long as it is re-applied after rain. It is supposed to kill the small black slugs that live under the soil. As it is watered on there are no pellets lying around.
28/11/2011 at 18:30
know just what you mean its so frustrating wanting to get out there and get digging and get the season started again. I wouldnt even mind cleaning the greenhouse but Ive so many plants in there for winter protection that I cant even do that! Oh woe is me. At least I can feed the birds and I have just got a robin to take mealworms from my hand which is magic, there was also a battle going on over a fat ball! a woodpecker chased off all the starlings. Aint life grand, so lets not let the rain get us down.
email image
11 messages