London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 11°C
21 to 39 of 39 messages
22/07/2013 at 09:25

Nearly changed my mind the other day when wrestling with bindweed in the heat!

22/07/2013 at 14:58

Love being in the garden, that's we're I am really happy, just lose myself out there.

22/07/2013 at 18:41
I couldn'y agree more-that gardening makes you happy or at least happier. I'm disabled and virtually house bound and I love my garden, it just thrills me with delight. When I was working we were lucky and able to buy Well mortgaged) a very quaint Cornish cottage with a very sorry state for a garden. It's just a mixture of smells ,textures and colours. In fact I'm not that well at the mo-BUT went into the garden and smelt one of my "David Austin" roses-and WOW!! I feel much better. And its the change of the seasons and the light, you can really smell and feel the difference.
Yes, its true its a burden, but its a burden I welcome :-)))
22/07/2013 at 20:58

Gardening definetly makes me happy- mind you I don't do digging or any other hard work. As to equating it to housework---no way Love gardening hate housework. Neat cared for garden, house least said the better

22/07/2013 at 21:34

I have a very old friend who lives in a block of flats in central London. When I email her and talk about the changing seasons she says that she hasn't noticed the leaves turning colour or the frost on the grass....

I couldn't live like that.

22/07/2013 at 23:17
Linda - Don't worry too much if your borders don't look like they used to
when you were younger. You will find if you have a few wild corners in
your garden that the declining hedgehog may make a home with you
(as long as you don't use slug pellets, as these will kill him along with the
thrushes and blackbirds if he eats a snail or slug which has eaten the
pellets - I know because I've taken quite a few to the local vet to put down
as they were dying in agony). A neat garden is great to look at but a less
manicured garden can be equally rewarding, as the wildlife you will see will
more than compensate.
23/07/2013 at 15:21

I'd rather be in my garden than anywhere else, especially this time of the year when all the hard work is done and you can enjoy the results. However, it is difficult just to sit and enjoy a glass of wine under the shady tree when you spot a bit of dead-heading to be done, or a stray weed has appeared! The nightly watering is becoming a chore though as I have sooooo many pots and hanging baskets, and it hasn't rained here for months. All these thunderstorms are passing us by, and the garden is crying out for a good downpour - hey ho - on with lugging the watering cans around again!

30/07/2013 at 11:16

i hope all gardeners are not like me. sometimes i go into the garden with a cup of tea just to sit and relax, but as soon as i enter the garden, something catches my attention and the cup of tea is forgotten. By the time i get back to the tea, its too cold. There have been times where a half drank cup of tea or two have been lost in the borders. . i just love gardening. i dont know what i would do without it. sometimes its back breaking, sometimes its sad when u loose a loved plants, or the cats dig up all yr new plants or the winds knock everything down, but its great when everything comes together. the icing on the cake is, when people commend u on how beautiful yr garden looks. i am addicted.

06/08/2013 at 12:54
I live in my garden and can't get enough of it.I saw my first dragon fly on my pond yesterday.I have come to a stage where I cannot plant anything now,but i have a small area near my decking and plan to build a pizza oven on it then my garden will be complete.I live next to a small wood and get lots of wild live coming into the garden.What a great pleasure it is to be able to sit back and just enjoy the wonders of nature.
06/08/2013 at 16:58

I love my garden too, but what is making me sad at the moment is bumble bees, I have seen so many on flowers gathering pollen then the next time I look, the bee is dead!!

it doesn't happen with every bumble bee or on a particular plant but I'm seeing quite a few, has anyone one else noticed this happening and if so why?

22/08/2013 at 11:38
Perhaps this can add to the debate.

“I am a woman in the Autumn of her life. I recently married Terry, the chairman of I am a woman in the Autumn of her life. I recently married Terry, the chairman of our local amateur dramatics society. As this is a marriage intended solely for companionship, romantic relations are of no consequence to me – his oily skin and thick curly black hair make him look like a Latin Edward Miliband. Thus, my garden has provided a much needed escape from his amorous advances.

However, the Summer has drenched the garden in colour and life; the flowers bursting out of the ground and the shrubbery thick and exotic. I must confess, presented with such unbridled, rampant proliferation, I have - on more than one occasion - come over quite hot while in my garden.

Now when I watch Terry on stage, I squint, I can pretend he is John Nettles. And Terrys’ swarthy features - his dark beard and olive skin - are making it extremely difficult to sit still during ‘The Archers.’” – Margaret, Blisworth

And for more gardening stories, visit www.alanmuxlow.co.uk
22/08/2013 at 22:19

ADDICT and others,

Your words are so true,  people who dont garden  are missing soooo much.

I find winter so long and depressing simply because the pleasure and exercise

of the garden is gone!

we can gather leaves, or do some pruning,  but the cold and  wet of winter and old bones dont mix!!!

So we venture out to see to the birds water and food, then back in the warm.

to wait for spring!

07/09/2014 at 23:52
I think that the invisible part or benefit of gardening is what makes gardeners happy. I mean happiness is of course intangible, but before you get that feeling there is one invisible factor that causes the happiness. A gardener gets in contact with a host beneficial bacteria that we cannot see from the plants and dirt. There is mounting scientific evidence that healthy microbes play a crucial role not just in our immune health but in our emotional and/or mental health too.
08/09/2014 at 06:38

If one's seedlings get killed to death everything is late and the harvest is worse than Ton Good's ten it's not such a happy lot.

Lyn
08/09/2014 at 14:57

Sorry for my ignorance but what is Ton Goods ten?

And why should your seedlings get killed to death if you follow growing instructions and advise.

08/09/2014 at 17:31

since I got my allotment at the beginning of June, I can say that I'm quite happy when I'm running my soil through my hands and looking at my immense progress. I get a huge sense of satisfaction and pride. I'm never happier  

my own garden however is a different kettle of fish- when it's quiet it's great, but my neighbours on one side are very, very deaf and have a young, hearing son. They all have no idea about how noisy they are. On the other side there are two devil children who do nothing but scream and hit each other and scream some more, making my garden a less than pleasant environment  

24/09/2014 at 09:30

Hi, it's lovely to hear how gardening makes us all happy, I do however have a little bit of a puzzle which is making me unhappy and hope you can help please.

i have just bought an Acer Shirasawanum Jordan the label says it will grow 150cm (5ft) in height and spread over next 10years which is fine for the area I hope to plant it.

However, I looked on line to find more info on how to look after it etc and i have read it can grow 15 to 20 feet  so I'm a bit confused?? I know sometimes same plants in other countries grow differently but wondered has anyone got an Acer Jordan and can advise me.

24/09/2014 at 09:33

I'd start a new thread with this with the plant name in the thread title.

Different people look at different threads and you'll find more Acer experts like that.

I'm not an acer expert

24/09/2014 at 09:36

Thanks Nutcutlet I appreciate you telling me, I always forget to do that.

email image
21 to 39 of 39 messages