London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
21/05/2009 at 18:09
At the age of five i was launched on my love of gardening by a teacher who taught us to grow cress on the windowsill in the classroom. I could not wait to get into school each morning to see how it had grown. The icing on the cake was when she brought a loaf of bread and some butter into the classroom and we made and ate our own sandwiches. I can still recall that wonderful feeling 75 years later.
21/05/2009 at 18:09
My garden is a popular playground for a lot of the local kids who play with my wee girl. Last summer a lot of them tried peas straight from the pod for the very first time, and seeing their reaction was fantastic! Took me back to my own childhood popping next door to see my neighbour and coming back with peas, or a lettuce or cauliflower for tea.
22/05/2009 at 10:38
My Brother as an allotment in London and without fail he is over there with all is children and Grandchildren one is 2 and the other 5, he gives them there own patch and lets them plant there own seeds, I also have an allotment and my 9 year old Grandson also as is own piece off allotment. jackie
22/05/2009 at 12:29
What an opportunity, Gardeners' World! How about a section on veg/flower growing in your magazine dedicated to children - at their level - written by Pippa etc -invite children to send in their achievements - that's the way to get them and their families involved.
22/05/2009 at 17:29
I absolutely love gardening and growing my own and getting the whole family involved, if i had my way i would turn the entire garden into a vegetable patch!!! I agree with Granny Gardener that there should be a special area of the website and magazine just about growing your own fruit and veg!!
23/05/2009 at 07:44
I totally agree with you 'granny gardener'. I think a section in thr programme & magazine for children would be fab. I teach young children & haveyoung children myself. I also run an after school environmental club. The children love learning about gardening & wildlife. Like the first poster, they love to eat what they grow. We should be getting more young children involved.
23/05/2009 at 22:29
I couldn't agree more, it's true, magazines do tend to spare little space for the 'undersized' gardeners, I'd not be doing what I do now were it not for my keen-gardener-mother and it would be great to see more kids gardening, and have articles with ideas too.
27/05/2009 at 08:30
This is the first year we have done a fruit / veg garden, my kids are loving it, they have their own patch, so far they have tried and enjoyed eating raddish and lettuce, lots more growing and my son who will not eat anything is even intrested in trying the veg he has grown. It is a shame our school doesn't get more involved.
27/05/2009 at 16:30
Can anybody help with a green roof, PLEASE. I have a new shed built specially so I can grow things on it & need to know what to grow & what to grow it in. It has the liner in place. I'd like something more colourful than just sedum please. Many thanks in anticipation.
02/06/2009 at 20:57
I was very lucky when growing up; both my dad and granddad were keen growers. I spent many a hot summers day playing in and around veg plants, eating ripe tomatoes, climbing up fruit trees, trying to get the first apple and plum pickings, I can still hear my dad shouting at us "get out of that greenhouse!!" Anyway I have carried on the tradition, not only growing my own but teaching and showing my kids where veg and fruit comes from (I try not to shout at them when all of the ripe tomatoes have disappeared!!)
18/06/2009 at 16:00
Jonny what are you talking about Pippa is one of the best and most influential gardeners of our time - if she can't teach kids to grow veg, no-one can! keep up the good work, Pippa!
02/07/2009 at 13:13
thank for share this info, thank!
14/10/2009 at 13:08
I first learned about gardening when I had been weeding for ages as a kid in the garden and decided to pull the last really hard to get ones out, it turns out they were my dad's favourite poppies -you twerp he said. I've loved gardening ever since.
19/10/2009 at 09:25
Yes, there's no doubt that when anyone, old or young, big or small is learning something new, their 'teacher' and companion will possibly have to put up with a few hairy moments, but it is well worth it!
08/12/2009 at 15:52
I'm a bit late with this but for anyone interested I have a website that focuses on school vegetable gardening. As an ex primary teacher I've tried to cover how growing veg etc can link into the school year and other curriculum areas. If you are interested it is here http://theschoolvegetablepatch.schools.officelive.com/default.aspx
26/12/2009 at 16:00
Also that we would do without your remarkable phrase
04/06/2010 at 21:47
After watching my 6 year old son take pride in weeding our small garden I decided to get him a few seeds and a grow bag. Now we spends most of our time in the garden together. Seeing him so excited and interested in something is great and I am actually enjoying it too. I am not much of a gardener myself so this site has been a great help. I just hope that we manage to grow somthing.
07/06/2010 at 11:29
Georgie, long may it continue.....my son is now taller than me, and still finding growing things fascinating! PG
28/06/2010 at 22:35
Help! Our school is embarking on a long term project to develop and improve the schools environment. The children want to start an allotment, pond, flower bed, sensory garden and green house. What should we do? How do we go about it?
09/01/2011 at 14:18
Gardening with kids is a great outdoor activity that allows the whole family to participate. Gardening and nature are great stress relievers, enhance the environment, develop individuals, and build communities.
1 to 20 of 24 messages